Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First time poster - Turkey Killin!

easy_e

SE Ohio
Hello everyone, first time poster here. I have been a member for a while now and enjoy reading all the great stuff on here! Haven't had much time lately to do any posting with a 1 year old and a house addition underway. My buddies Spencie and Spence09 showed me this site and I'm glad they did - awesome stuff!

Here is a pic of the bird I got the second day of season (along with my future huntin buddy :smiley_bril:). Nothing spectacular, but a fun, quick hunt. I went to roost these birds the evening before, and had a four wheeler come through right before dark and flush them all out of the trees. I was a little bummed that I didn't get to pinpoint one, but it didn't bother me much because the field I was going to sit on is a turkey magnet. Walked in and got settled and I thought the birds were never going to gobble on roost. It was cloudy and a chance of rain, so I knew they would probably gobble and fly down later than usual. Finally they started gobbling at the opposite end of the field, probably 500-600 yards away. I knew those birds were never going to make it to me by the time I had to be out of the woods. A little while later, one gobbled 150 yards away across the hollow. He was by himself and I figured he was a straggler that didn't regroup with the rest after they got bumped by the four wheeler. That was good news. I started working him with the slate and got him fired up, then I shut up for a good while and just made a few soft purrs after that. Pretty soon, I see the turkeys at the end of the field, which looked like little black dots and they were absolutely hammering. As I was watching them, out of the corner of my eye I see a turkey appear at the edge of the field. He saw my gobbler and hen decoys and came at a dead run from probably 100 yards out. He got to about 40 yards and hit the brakes. He saw something he didn't like and turned to leave and I put a load of #4's in the back of his head. It's always nice to get one out of the way early! Specs on him are 10 1/8" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. Didn't weigh him, but he is one of the heavier turkeys I have killed.

Here is a video I took of Spence09 killing a big WV bird a few years ago. We always pack the cam, but it is downright hard to have everything come together. We have killed a bunch of birds with the camera on the tripod and ready to film, but the bird either sneaked in silent or came in from behind. It is a goal of ours to film one strut in from a long ways out. It will happen eventually!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to TOO. Congrats on your bird. I would say you better take good care of that picture. Back it up online, copy it to disc, print it off, or all of the above. That is a great memory and will mean a lot the older you get.