Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good beer

Huckleberry Finn

Been awhile since we had a good beer thread...nothing against the home brew crowd but I don't want to contaminate their thread with the watered down, big box stuff!

0404142111.jpg

Yuengling Summer Wheat...hot damn this is a good beer. Clove / banana taste to it. $6.99/6 at Giant Eagles or Kroger. Close to a Shocktop.

It is a great spring beer, IMO...can't drink too many at once. Once the hot weather hits I like to switch to Corona, Leinie's Shandy, or Labbatt Lime. But this Yuengling is a damn good beer for the price!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I saw this on the shelf for the first time today. We have a new one out called coors summer brew. Its similar to the summer shandy, but a touch more coors light flavor. It has a slight after taste, but it'll be an awsome summer beer. Good thread btw.

Huckleberry Finn

That Coors Summer Brew does look like something up the multiple beers in a night...

I've heard that Labatt has a shandy out too...probably 85% water, but I'll give her a try.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Hah many of the beers I drink are not for sale in ohio. I think Shinerbock is now available in ohio.

Since moving to Texas thats about all I drink! Freaking great beer!

ShinerBock or Shiner!
Firemans4 (another great one)

Moundy that looks like an interesting beer I might have to try it!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm a Corona man these days. My taste for beers has been whittled down over the last couple of years. I need to try that Yuengling.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Yes Tom we can get shiner bock in Ohio. Haven't had it yet though. Just had that yueng last night, a good summer beer. Very close to its German originator.

I must say it is rather funny seeing all these domestic beers trying to tap into the craft beer market.

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
If ya like corona try Modelo. Kinda similar but a lot more flavor . Negro modelo is pretty good to .

Jesse he is right Modelo is a good beer, but makes ya look kinda girly having to unwrap foil that comes on the top of it.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Jesse he is right Modelo is a good beer, but makes ya look kinda girly having to unwrap foil that comes on the top of it.

True , but the regular modelo comes in cans to so thats kinda nice .
I've been drinking the heck out of various obscure IPA s lately . Tis the season . I'm not really a fan of summer ales and shandys. I don't care for all the spices or sweetness . Nothing wrong with em . I just generally choose something else .

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Some of the best beers I've had have foil on them. Call me girly if you want. :p

Jake what ipas have you been sampling. If you can find bells hopslam that is excellent.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
True , but the regular modelo comes in cans to so thats kinda nice .
I've been drinking the heck out of various obscure IPA s lately . Tis the season . I'm not really a fan of summer ales and shandys. I don't care for all the spices or sweetness . Nothing wrong with em . I just generally choose something else .

sounds like we have similar taste, summery/spring beers never have done it for me....Ill drink 1 here and there but I also like IPAs....or just budlight rotflmao

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I've had hopslam before...it definitely lives up to its name . I really wish I would of kept a lifetime beer list" . I'm horrible at remembering things but good at recognizing what I've had . Generally if I haven't had it and its a style of beer I like I'm trying it . Have you made it over to Wooster and tried JAFB beer ?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
sounds like we have similar taste, summery/spring beers never have done it for me....Ill drink 1 here and there but I also like IPAs....or just budlight rotflmao

Can't go wrong with a old standby . Its funny how as much as I love good beer , I still gotta buy a 30 pack of something every now and then. What can I say ? I love beer .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm a golden/amber lager and a wheat beer guy. The shandys are gross! IPAs have TOO much bite for me. And anything heavy on spices is usually a turn off for me. I do like the Sam Adams Summer Ale.

Huckleberry Finn

I saw this on the shelf for the first time today. We have a new one out called coors summer brew. Its similar to the summer shandy, but a touch more coors light flavor. It has a slight after taste, but it'll be an awsome summer beer. Good thread btw.

Just bought a 12...I'd call it an "okay" beer, not that good but not bad. It will get the job done.