Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Returning Phone Calls

How soon should a business return your call?

• Immediately (less than 2 hrs)

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • That morning / afternoon (2-4 hrs)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By the end of the day (4-6 hrs)

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Morning of the next day (6-12 hrs)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • The next day (12-24 hrs)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Anytime they damn well please

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Huckleberry Finn

Seems like I am asking myself this more and more lately, but tell me I'm not going crazy...

Say you call your local small business. Any mom and pop store, really. You call for a quote on a product, say the local guy that does roofing, sells lumber, or paints...

How soon should you expect a call back?

Immediately? (As soon as their current task ends, say within 2 hours)
Within that morning / afternoon? (2-6 hours)
By the end of business day? (we'll call this 6 hours)
The very next morning around 9 or 10 (let's say that this is 12-24 hours)
The next day when you called? (24 hours, give or take)
or...a few days later? (greater than 24 hours)

The follow-up question, is of course, at what threshold do you start to question them and look for another business that supplies the same service.

Hell! We still got a poll fixture...

Huckleberry Finn

I'm also particularly interested in what the small business owners think themselves. There are a unique amount and plenty of them around!

And I will say that I always try to shop / buy local, especially for big purchases. It just seems like their customer service sucks anymore and don't want business...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
If it's the kind of business where the guy works in an office or shop I'd say mostly with in a few hours/same day. If he has to go out to a location or travel to work I'd say by the next day.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Depends upon the business. Taxi service, tow truck, snow service, emergency number for plumbing, heating, emergency locksmith, etc., should be answered immediately or call returned within an hour or two.

Strictly my opinion of course. I also feel some of this depends on the demographics. If you call someone in Alabama, Appalacian areas, etc., they simply move at a slower pace. If it is a business which is seasonally slammed, like lawn/landscapers right now, sometimes notes simply get buried or lost, regardless the effort to get back to customers. 10 calls a day is a tough juggle but not quite enough to justify a secretary. Sometimes you get an answering machine, others answer their phone, and some have no voice mail. Better take good notes and be organized when returning calls.

Estimates on roofing, siding, general house repairs I would think within a day or two. Might not be on site for an estimate this quickly, but at least return the call in the next 24-36hrs. Landscape, pool installation estimate, probably the same. Wedding photographer, event planners, or other such services in which the service company might perform the service as a second job? I might think it could take them a little longer. Maybe up to 3-4 days?

I think some of it would depend upon the size of the city and amount of competition. In Columbus, Cleveland, or similar, I would think they would nearly NEED to return calls promptly or they would be written off. Take Marengo, Glouster, Van Wert, Fremont, and the expected time for a return call is probably going to be slower than the big cities. Just a reality.

In my experience, the more niche the market (and fewer the competitors), the slower the call. Either it takes them forever and several prompts for a return call, or they surprise you with their speediness. Seems weird, but just my experiences.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I try not return calls because I want to answer them the first time around! With that said, when I do need to return a call, I do it as soon as I can. I don't want to make any customer wait. When I'm the customer, I don't want to wait! That being said, there are times I've failed, so I usually give the benefit of doubt when I'm the one waiting. If its obvious whomever I'm waiting on a call back from is too busy to cater to me, I move on. When I call for services, I don't want to feel I'm waiting in line.
If you're getting the run around, go elsewhere.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I return within 24 hours. If not, I expect you to move on. I assume the same treatment if I am calling them.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Small mom and pop places I would think I would have a returned call by the end of the day. I would make one final call first thing in the morning when they open and if no answer them I move on.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
In my office dwelling years I tried to never go home until I had returned all calls from that day. Some nights took longer than others but that was how I felt it should be. Some complicated applications could be scheduled back-to-back and allowing 1-2 hrs. each it was easy to get backed up with phone messages in the afternoon.

There will always be exceptions and standards in each varied business.

If you call me Huck and leave a message, I'll call you back Immediately.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If someone wants my business and money I expect reasonable service. By the end of the day is fine if it's not too late in the day when the call was made. But 24 hrs. is not unreasonable.
No return call no business from me.

Buckmaster

Portage
In my business I return calls within an hour but I realize I'm an exception.
I don't give my prospects an opportunity to try to shop elsewhere.

My personal expectation is a return call within 4 hours or else I'm left "wondering".

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Trying too contact contractors are the worse, trying not too offend Charles but I've contacted between 8-10 contractors in the last month and 1 returned a phone call..... He's getting my business..... They all have answering machines or voicemail but never seem too check it.....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Trying too contact contractors are the worse, trying not too offend Charles but I've contacted between 8-10 contractors in the last month and 1 returned a phone call..... He's getting my business..... They all have answering machines or voicemail but never seem too check it.....

The ones that survived the economy are swamped. I have been getting so many calls I have my wife call back new customers. Hard to run a Paslode while on the phone.

By not calling back they are too busy for new business. I have had to turn down at least 20 jobs so far or push them back until I have time to get to them. Nobody is willing to plan ahead because everyone wants it NOW.