Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

is it gonna get better.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
What's your guys thoughts. Do you think the hunting is going to get better. Do you guys think the birds are a couple weeks behind just like the weather and vegetation and such. I haven't heard a bird get real fired up hard all week a few gobbles on the roost and that's about it. Just wondering your thoughts.:smiley_chinrub:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What's your guys thoughts. Do you think the hunting is going to get better. Do you guys think the birds are a couple weeks behind just like the weather and vegetation and such. I haven't heard a bird get real fired up hard all week a few gobbles on the roost and that's about it. Just wondering your thoughts.:smiley_chinrub:

I would be on it. The numbers agree here around my area. Our opening day harvest was 1 down from 6. Champaign was 14 down from like 32. Alex and I set up on a tom this morning no 50 yards from his roost. He only gave us 7-8 gobbles on the limb and two were shock gobbles at geese the rest calling. Two hen decoys and a b-mobile in plain sight if him. The hen he was with pitched north about 100 yards. 5 min later he pitched south 150 yards.

The hens don't seem to even care about the toms and we haven't seen a single strutter yet either. I think they're about two weeks behind normal. late next week they should start to get fired up.

teej89

NE PA
It was weird yesterday we had about 10 birds gobbling around us from 6-7 and then this morning it was dead quiet except for a few faint gobbles now and then. Fortunately we were able to bag 2 on Saturday but I'm hoping it picks up, I wanna fill my last tag. Driving out I saw a lone gobbler in full strut around 7:45 this morning.

Huckleberry Finn

The best is yet to come in terms of action. Judging by the guys on here, last Tuesday was a great day to kill gobblers though.

Diablo54

Outside
It has been off down here. The birds seem to have no serious interest. And the hens seem to have no interest in the gobblers. It can only get better IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am pretty green at turkey hunting. Second season to be exact. I saw two different properties last week with toms running around together. I am not sure how it works. It was almost like a bachelor group of bucks. As if the turkeys were "still in velvet" and not quite there yet. Does this seem accurate? I really don't know. Had no luck trying to roost a bird tonight, yet again.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Saturday morning they were on fire in Guernsey county. Around my area I haven't heard much at all. Hopefully this weekend is better.

I think it's over. The hens have already been bred and the toms are back into bachelor groups. Again, Ohio is behind every other state, as most states' turkey seasons have come and gone a month ago.

I've been talking with guys that are hunting for mushrooms and bumping into hens on the nest with 6 to 10 eggs. This would be the cause for the disinterest in toms.

Bowhunter57

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I can't see it being over, but I don't know much about turkeys. The winter definitely lingered and IMO, I agree with the others that the best is yet to come.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think its turkey hunting in Ohio as usual where I'm at. Some days they gobble and act a fool, some days they could care less. This is however the first year I have ever heard hunters theorize our season is too early!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My neighbor and taxidermist who also has a grand slam in turkey hunting said today that he thinks the birds are a week behind. I'm hoping this weekend will start the all out gobble fest. He killed one on Saturday in Cadiz that had white wings, pretty cool looking bird.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I think its turkey hunting in Ohio as usual where I'm at. Some days they gobble and act a fool, some days they could care less. This is however the first year I have ever heard hunters theorize our season is too early!

My thoughts exactly. Turkey hunting, "find one that wants to die and its a fun action packed day".

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think it's over. The hens have already been bred and the toms are back into bachelor groups. Again, Ohio is behind every other state, as most states' turkey seasons have come and gone a month ago.

I've been talking with guys that are hunting for mushrooms and bumping into hens on the nest with 6 to 10 eggs. This would be the cause for the disinterest in toms.

Bowhunter57

Lmao. A week before opening day we had 2.5 inches of snow on the ground.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I don't think they have broke up totally yet. And I definitely don't think its over. I'm thinking it will get better as a whole. I'm not seeing them in the normal sections when it comes too this time every year.

Diablo54

Outside

Bowhunter57

No. I am not seeing this. I believe that our season is most generally a few weeks behind where it should be but with the winter that dragged on this year it has been timed just right. A few hens of course have been bred but your gobblers are not losing interest in breeding. It is just now starting to get good in a hunters point of view. I promise ya.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think every thing is just as it should be and they are not done breeding. I normally hunt private land but hunted public land yesterday when I got my bird and it was some of the best gobbling I have heard in several years almost reminded me of hunting birds back in the 80s and early 90s it was that exciting.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
No. I am not seeing this. I believe that our season is most generally a few weeks behind where it should be but with the winter that dragged on this year it has been timed just right. A few hens of course have been bred but your gobblers are not losing interest in breeding. It is just now starting to get good in a hunters point of view. I promise ya.

I agree.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It's been a strange season here. Not the normal gobbling and searching. I'm almost to the conclusion we have too many turkeys that the Toms don't have to search much for hens. I'm thinking the Toms roost with the hens and fly down together and no real need to search for other hens.
Thoughts?

yotehunter

spencerville oh
It's been a strange season here. Not the normal gobbling and searching. I'm almost to the conclusion we have too many turkeys that the Toms don't have to search much for hens. I'm thinking the Toms roost with the hens and fly down together and no real need to search for other hens.
Thoughts?
That could very well be the case in my area too. I watched one three mornings in a row fly down with two hens. But only after the hens flew down. And I know this winter there was 3 to 1 hens too toms because I seen it.