Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question for the AR gurus

Jamie

Ohio
So I have this AR in the safe for three years, never getting around to shooting it. got it out last week to do some shooting. load gun, pull trigger and it goes "click" not "BANG". having never fired this gun, and knowing nothing about the AR platform or how it works, I just waited a minute then ejected the still live round and tried again. and again. and again. I'm getting weak primer strikes but cannot tell why. custom gun made by a friend of mine. direct impingement, not gas piston. Rock River lower, Colt (Vietnam Era) upper. I don't know anything specific about the barrel or trigger parts

I watched a couple of vids and tore down the rifle for a thorough cleaning. it wasn't real dirty, but I figure cleaning can only help. not to mention I now understand how the BCG works and how the bolt is assembled. hosed out the trigger group with gun scrubber, lubed it all up and tried to fire again with same result.

best as I can tell the bolt is traveling as it should. buffer spring in good working order. the hammer is cocking properly, the firing pin is moving freely and the trigger is very smooth. I'm sure the person who built this rifle worked on the trigger as he is an accomplished gunsmith. furthermore, when a round is picked up and sent to chamber, the bolt travels forward with enough force to make a small mark on the primer, which is normal as I understand it. when I pull trigger, the firing pin is striking the primer, but apparently with not enough force to cause ignition. so, do I have a weak hammer spring, a bad firing pin, or something else?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jamie, since it's new and not shot yet (although it's 3 years old) Take the bolt back apart and strike it on a hard surface on the end the firing pin slides into. Might be some metal shavings up there which could limit the firing pin travel..... Been there done that on another platform of a gun...... Although mine did it while shooting at a very impressive 8 point.....

Jamie

Ohio
thanks for the reply. gun isn't brand new and has been fired plenty, just never by me. how much, I could not say. still waiting to hear back from the fellow that put it together. I got this gun (and another) in a trade for a custom bow. is shameful that I let it sit idle for so long, but I have bows to build, dog that needs to be hunted, houses to paint, yadda, yadda, yadda. now that I've attempted to shoot it some and it doesn't work, I'm on a mission to get it working in case I need to snipe zombies from my rooftop or something. :)

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Make sure the trigger spring is not backwards.
(Did a search and this is what came up most often).

Jamie

Ohio
good call, Mike. :smiley_clap: it surely appears that the hammer spring is in backwards. I guess competent gunsmiths make mistakes, too. I'll try to get it installed correctly and see if she'll shoot.

Jamie

Ohio
well, that was pretty easy. gun functioning flawlessly now. mission accomplished. next mission: mow grass :frown:

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Jamie with a "black rifle"???? Will wonders never cease????????????? Thought your handsome twin was the only gun nut! :pickle: