Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Damn, I really don't need another hobby.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Went to an auction up in Middlefield yesterday. A large collection of steam engines sold. They had a complete Enterprise portable engine and an Enterprise boiler. The Enterprise was founded and owned by my great uncle and was in Columbiana. The complete engine sold for way more then I could afford but I was able to buy the boiler.

Talking to some people that know they think the boiler could be operable with some minor repairs. Will have to have it inspected to be sure.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Your are your own worst enemy Sam! lol
Congratulations on acquiring another great piece of history!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If anything it'll look good for the fall open houses..... Nice too get it back into the family Sam......

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'm not sure what I'll do with it other display it at the farm and local tractor shows as a curiosity of local history. If the boiler checks out ok I can at least put a whistle on it and make some noise. The guy that had it said he might know where an engine is.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Btw if anyone knows where an engine might be sitting let me know. These often ran sawmills and got left way out on the woods.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Sam my Grandpa Young run a steam engine thrashing machine. When I was a little boy I remember going to a "thrashing" and seeing it chugging, belts running, and straw flying up on the straw rick. Was thrilling. When he stop doing thrashing he put took the engine off the wheels and put it in his custom butchering house to heat the water to take the hair off the pokers. Loved to toot the whistle!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sam that's a nice piece. Big in size but nice. I'm glad my precious metals (guns) are a lot smaller as I would quickly run out of room.

wow, Sam that's is awesome too bad you were not able to get the piston and fly wheel head. This is a dream of mine except I want a JI Case. After you have the boiler inspected and hydrostatically tested at pressure you should have a better understanding of what needs done. If the boiler needs repairs I highly recommend you get in contact with JS Company in Middlefield, Ohio. They have done a good amount of boiler for scenic railroads and steam traction locomotives.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
wow, Sam that's is awesome too bad you were not able to get the piston and fly wheel head. This is a dream of mine except I want a JI Case. After you have the boiler inspected and hydrostatically tested at pressure you should have a better understanding of what needs done. If the boiler needs repairs I highly recommend you get in contact with JS Company in Middlefield, Ohio. They have done a good amount of boiler for scenic railroads and steam traction locomotives.
Thanks Tom. I knew there was a place around Middlefield and there's another near me. I'm sure I'm going to learn of a bunch of places to spend my money.:smiley_blackeye: