Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Handgun Buck

I picked up my mount from last year's Deer Gun Season and was very pleased with it. Dave Bailey Taxidermy is very good at his craft...and very affordable. This is my first deer with a handgun and it just happened to be a buck. I thought the "sneak mount" would be different, plus, I wanted it to be different than the other mounts, since this one was killed with a handgun.

The handgun buck is the one on the far right. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Very Nice!
Will you carry it again this year... or buy a 44 carbine?
Marlin makes a nice lever...

CJD3 said:
Very Nice!
Will you carry it again this year... or buy a 44 carbine?
Thank you! I had intended to purchase a Rossi with a 24" octagon barrel, when it looked like the PCR regulation was going to pass. However, I enjoy and have enjoyed hunting with a handgun for many years. I plan to continue to carry the Ruger Super Redhawk. The convenience of hunting with a handgun is difficult to appreciate, unless you've done it.

I do plan to change the load that I'm currently running in this Ruger. I want to use a 240gr. JHP bullet, instead of the hard cast bullets that I'm currently using.

Bowhunter57

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looks great! Nice collection you have there! I need to get a doe mounted for the wall, adds something to it IMO. Thanks for sharing. Congrats!

Full bore said:
Those three bucks look to be related.
The only relationship these guys share is the wall where they're hanging. :smiley_blink:

The buck on the far left was killed in '91, in the suburbs south of Lima with a recurve and his standing weight was 240.
The doe was killed in '88, in the suburbs east of Lima with a compound.
The buck to the right of the doe was killed in '09, about a mile north of Lima with a compound.
The handgun buck was killed in '13, just outside the suburbs west of Lima with a Ruger Super Redhawk.

I either have to start hunting further out of town or go downtown to see what I can find. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57