Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Backyard Hens

Since I've been out hunting turkeys in the woods behind my house, the toms seemed to have been swallowed up by the ground. Oddly enough, the hens have been making regular appearances. I'm going back out in the morning to look around again. You'd think that the toms would be close by the hens, similar to bucks and does.

I think that if I locate them, a spot and stalk shouldn't be too difficult. All I need is a shot inside 30 yards and I'll run a broadhead through one. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

what broadhead are you using? I us a dull 125 grain rage with a 3/8 washer between the broadhead and the shaft. I'm not a fan of mechanicals for deer but for turkey the extra cutting diameter is a very good thing. you also want the arrow to stay in the bird for more blood loss and higher kinetic energy transfer. That's reason why the blades are dull and the 3/8 washer is in place. I just make sure you have good shot placement at 30 yards and you'll be golden. I shot a large jake last year with that setup on an Easton fmj arrow with a vital shot at 25 yards. the bird didn't even kick on the ground I was shocked. good luck!

Archertl said:
what broadhead are you using? I us a dull 125 grain rage with a 3/8 washer between the broadhead and the shaft. I'm not a fan of mechanicals for deer but for turkey the extra cutting diameter is a very good thing.
Archertl,
I'm using a 100gr. Rage 2-blade and a N.A.P. Bloodrunner II, which ever I pull out of my quiver. I like mechanicals for turkeys too, but prefer a pass through for two holes bleeding vs. one. Also, I use the sharpest blades for better blood trails. Equipment choices are what they are, but all I need is a shot. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57