Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A Beardless Tom ??

OK I didn't sign up for a team , as I have to hunt around these darn headackes

But this morning I tryed it for a few hours
As I had seen some turkeys heading up to a small woods (100 yds x 200 yds) yesterday a little before sunset
So I figured they had roosted in the woods

I got out there early and could see turkeys in some trees
So I was set up just outside the woods
2 hen decoys in the corn field and me set up 20 yds away along a lane heading to the creek line

Long story short the turkeys came right to me ignoring the decoys
4 hens , then a single Jake and then 3 more hens

I saw a Tom turkey gobble just inside the woods , so I let the jake walk
Then here comes the tom , a decent sized Tom
But as it got closer .......no beard
I looked and looked
But for the life of me
I couldn't see a beard so I let it walk , while I kept hoping I would see something

There was a "Spot" in the feathers where the beard should have been that was sort of messed up
The Tom passed me at 30 yds and there was nothing I felt I could do but let it walk

I have never seen a Tom without a beard
Could ice have broken it off ?

John

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
My buddy shot one in Kentucky a couple yrs ago when we were there that essentially didn't have a beard . It had 4 or 5 1/2 strands growing out of a zit ..lol . It came in strutting and had 1 1/4 spurs . My opinion is ya could of shot it knowing it was a Tom and no one would of faulted ya .

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
He knew it was a male though, its not his fault he lost his beard. I probably would of let him pass though just because I'd be scratching my head about it.

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Have a couple older buddy's that used to hunt Pa and NY for yrs and they said during bad winters with lots of snow alot of the birds would be missing beards in the Spring.They said in the winter with lots of snow their beards would drag and get big snow and ice balls on them till they broke off they had sone video of some big birds with no beards.

Good job on letting it walk John. Need to follow that law or end up with a violation as it's there in black an white. Keeps people from shooting hens accidentally and accidental shootings because you have to see it first before pulling the trigger.