Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Not a gobble

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Went out this morning to the three local spots I have to hunt. Not a single gobble. First time in my life of not hearing a gobble on opening morning. I thought it was weird not being able to roost one last night. Sure as hell didn't start my season right. The youth really hit them hard this weekend where I hunt apparently, I know they killed at least two. I have never found turkeys to be an extremely hard creature to hunt, but my goodness they got to be there before you can even try.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Today was awful slow for me and Lathe too. I heard a few distant gobbles very early, saw none and covered a lot of ground. It was one of the very few days I've ever had turkey hunting that I would term as boring. Hunted until noon...

Treed

Stark County
It was a very quiet morning for me TOO but I was hunting my property down in Carroll Co. where there are deer but not a whole lot of birds, at least in my area. I was a bit surprised to not even hear them in the distance though.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
One of the few birds we did hear this morning was a long, long way off. We walked clear to the back of 1/2 mile long field, looked another 3/4 of a mile and he was still beyond that! My buddy said the bird had to be across the road, I said there was NO way we could hear a bird that far off. We drove around the back side of the farm, and on the other side of the road is a big alfalfa field. I told my buddy the gobbler must have been in that field. I did another drive by tonight and sure enough, there was the gobbler and two jakes in the alfalfa just before fly-up. I swear on all I own, that bird was a mile and a half away from us this morning. Strange how you can hear them like that when things are right yet some days you can barely hear them just over the crest of a hill. I had to swallow my pride and text my buddy that I'd found them...and he was right!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
My Buddy's didn't have any luck this morning I went out and put a bird up a crossed from my house tonight I put them on it in the morning. I can't hunt til this weekend and he won't stay there so I told them to go give it a try.