Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

securing a ground blind

theshark

This will be my first season hunting from a ground blind. I know how to tie down with steaks I was wondering about the roof. How do you keep the roof from collapsing? Do you tie the roof to a over head branch?

Thanks in advance.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This will be my first season hunting from a ground blind. I know how to tie down with steaks I was wondering about the roof. How do you keep the roof from collapsing? Do you tie the roof to a over head branch?

Thanks in advance.

Bought a ground blind last year and had the same issue. Any amount of snow would collapse in the roof which acted as a bowl for more snow. Lol. After the big snow around muzzy I went to the blind and the roof hub was literally touching the ground inside. I'm thinking next year I'll takie a length of PVC pipe and prop up the center hub on the inside.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I've ran into this same thing. Thiis year, I was planning on using a 2 x 2 in the center when I am not there. Sucks showing up and the roof is concave'd in from the snow or a fallen branch.

I like Joe's idea better. The PVC is light and will not rot.

Last edited:

epe

Lancaster
Not sure if it is Coleman that makes it or not, but Walmart carries an adjustable tent pole, that adjusts heights and locks in place. I would use that in the center, when not in use, then put it back up before I left.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not sure if it is Coleman that makes it or not, but Walmart carries an adjustable tent pole, that adjusts heights and locks in place. I would use that in the center, when not in use, then put it back up before I left.

I've seen those before. Might be a god idea. If you get to it before the snow melts it's not hard to pop back up. But if it melts it pools since the roof is waterproof then freezes to ice. And it's loud as shit popping it back up.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I had a spot where the ice was too thick to even get it to pop back up and off. I hunted squatted down a bit that day.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
When not hunting do you guys leave your windows open or closed? A friend of mine told me to leave them open to keep the blind from being blowen away.

I close mine. I was under the assumption that if the wind got in it could lift it up or blow it over easier.

epe

Lancaster
I've seen those before. Might be a god idea. If you get to it before the snow melts it's not hard to pop back up. But if it melts it pools since the roof is waterproof then freezes to ice. And it's loud as shit popping it back up.

Yeah, we had two blinds ruined from the snow snapping the rods. Last blind I kept out someone stole, along with my tent pole. They must have liked it too...:mad:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Winds and snow have ruined two Baronette blinds for me. I tied the tops up and used heavy duty tent stakes to give me leverage for tying off the sides. It didn't work. I see more wind than most where I'm at though.

If you used PVC for a support, I would just be sure and use 1" or larger. You could even get two different diameters and recess one in the other, then drill holes through both at increments which would allow you to adjust the height, as well as break it down when using the blind.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've had 2 blinds blown away and they only stopped when they ran into a fence and cedar tree.
Snow broke my fiberglass rods on one. So I made new roof rods out of high tension fence wire 4X thick and used tape to hold them together. They aren't breaking.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Winds and snow have ruined two Baronette blinds for me. I tied the tops up and used heavy duty tent stakes to give me leverage for tying off the sides. It didn't work. I see more wind than most where I'm at though.

If you used PVC for a support, I would just be sure and use 1" or larger. You could even get two different diameters and recess one in the other, then drill holes through both at increments which would allow you to adjust the height, as well as break it down when using the blind.

Dude is a fart smeller. I mean smart feller! lmao

I've lost 3 blinds now to snow/wind/ice. I just see it as the risk you run leaving them out there. Greg's idea will be in use this year though!