Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

One of the great ones

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
When I was a kid I read every piece of bow hunting material I could find. Toad Smith was one of the great ones IMO. He died of heart disease, but not before putting up a heck of a fight. He had a surgery in which a piece of his heart was taken out. He asked the Dr. to save it - he used it to catch a 5 lb channel cat! He gained notoriety for being an exceptional bow hunter, couldn't write worth a crap, but was so knowledgeable that M.R. James would go to the trouble of editing, and re-editing the hand-written material he submitted. Today's "hunting world" is full of self-proclaimed experts. To me, this man was the real deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1iTtqgnOeQ

Jamie

Ohio
Otis "Toad" Smith. one of the great ones, indeed. any of you guys ever heard of Quince Hale?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Those guys actually hunted deer, unlike so many today that work to raise them. There was reason to listen when they spoke. They knew and understood deer, not just what was the best bait. And btw, he's dead right here. You can walk right up on deer in standing corn, or even in woods if its a bit wet and windy. I snapped a picture of a bedded buck @ 11 steps during gun season one year and sent it to a buddy (Haleybrock). He asked if it was dead and I replied "not yet". Shamefully, I shot that buck right there and sent my buddy a field photo. :). Get out of the trees once in a while. Great way to hunt and a ton of fun!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Those guys actually hunted deer, unlike so many today that work to raise them. There was reason to listen when they spoke. They knew and understood deer, not just what was the best bait. And btw, he's dead right here. You can walk right up on deer in standing corn, or even in woods if its a bit wet and windy. I snapped a picture of a bedded buck @ 11 steps during gun season one year and sent it to a buddy (Haleybrock). He asked if it was dead and I replied "not yet". Shamefully, I shot that buck right there and sent my buddy a field photo. :). Get out of the trees once in a while. Great way to hunt and a ton of fun!

I bet Steve about shat his pants right there, haha. I have had deer run up to me and scare the hell out of me in standing corn