Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey gun

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So my normal turkey gun is my Rem 1100 in 20 gauge. I only have a full choke barrel for it (can't put screw in chokes in it) and it can only take 2.75" shells so I'm limited to 25 yard shots or less. I have been looking for a new shotgun but haven't taken the time to put the money away for what I want. Anyways....my came across a Rem 870 in 20 gauge that can take screw in chokes and 3" shells.

Are all screw in chokes threaded the same? Or do I have to look for a specific brand?

What is a good choke to buy for turkey hunting? I don't need the best one, I want a good value and to not have to buy multiple ones to see what shoots the best. Darn near anything is bound to pattern better than my 1100.

Same basic question for shells. What is a good shell to buy? I've never bought "turkey" loads before (never found them in 2.75" 20) so I don't know anything about what is good vs the latest line of rebranded cow poop. The ones Joe was talking about which were 4s, 5s and 7s sound like an awesome idea.

I honestly don't know how much time I am going to get out but if I can get out and pattern this shotgun at least then I might have a better chance of knocking a turkey down if I have the opportunity.

Oh and final question, a 3" turkey load, going to recoil comparable to a 2.75" slug? or?

Huckleberry Finn

The packaging on the choke (or in the internet description) will say Rem or Moss or what have you.

Any tight choke will do the trick. Hunter's Specialties makes the Undertaker which goes for about $20. It will kill a bird. There are nicer and better.

Joe's patterning thread is a great description on shells and sighting your gun in: http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?15649-Pattern-test

I'm still using a box of Remington #4 Nitro 3 inchers that I've had for many years.

If you don't "have time" to pattern your gun, make time. Put an orange dot on a pizza box and shoot it at 30 yards.
--
And, in Internet infamy, you take your choke tubes in and out with a quarter, gun unloaded or even better, off the gun. Thanks Geezer, wherever you are.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Lots of questions. Like anything. You get what you pay for. To a point, then it's just paying way too much. Chokes don't use universal threads. Each gun brand has their own threads and lengths. Some share bit the packaging will be marked for the gun. You can get a cheap choke that will shoot lead or copper plated lead shot, or a choke that will shoot hevi-shot. (Denser than lead) most chokes come at a .650 to .690 constriction and a .660 is the minimum I would go in a turkey choke. I typically prefer a .655.

The tighter the constriction, (.655) and the ability to shoot hevi-shot will place the choke in the 50-70 dollar range.

Loads. Again. You get what you pay for. This is one area I refuse to be cheap. With everything that goes in to turkey hunting what's an extra 3-4 bucks when the moment of truth comes. I love hevi-shot. 3 inch will do. But why not shoot that extra .5 inch if you can shoot it. Most 3 inch loads will have 1 3/4 oz of shot for a 12 ga. The rem duplex load I shoot was 1 7/8. The Hevi-metal magnum blend I shoot is 3.5 inch and 2 1/4 oz of shot. It takes 1 good pellet to kill a bird. Don't let that 1 pellet be the one that was in a 2oz shell and not in a 1 3/4. At 40 yards I put 239 pellets In the circle where the NWTF recommends 100. And it'll get the job done when needed, killed a tom at 70 paces last year that tried to sneak back out.

As for recoil. Even with the recoil reducer my gun will cause your kids to be born with a bruised shoulder. I won't lie, it hurts. But I've never remembered the recoil when shooting at a bird. It kicks harder than my muzzy with 150gr pyrodex and a 240 gr slug. Kicks harder than any slug I've ever shot. Remember. A pumpkin ball slug is 1oz. That hevi load is 2 1/4 oz and loaded to the Max dram.

It's all up to you. I prefer to spend the extra 40 bucks on a choke and shells so I can shoot an antiaircraft flack gun. Lol.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

As for recoil. Even with the recoil reducer my gun will cause your kids to be born with a bruised shoulder. I won't lie, it hurts. But I've never remembered the recoil when shooting at a bird. It kicks harder than my muzzy with 150gr pyrodex and a 240 gr slug. Kicks harder than any slug I've ever shot. Remember. A pumpkin ball slug is 1oz. That hevi load is 2 1/4 oz and loaded to the Max dram.

Aside from physics, I'm normally shooting a slug with a sweatshirt on, if not 3 layers. Always sight your guns in on a moderately cold day!

bonemonger

kinsman ohio
it depends on what shell you want to shoot, my wife shoots hevi- 13 # 7 shot and uses a hevi-shot choke tube in her 20. if you want to shoot federal heavyweight # 7 shot I would recommend a tru- lock choke tube. # 7 shot in a 20 gauge is deadly out to 40 yards with the right choke tube. 562 to 575 are what I would recommend in 20 gauge constriction.

lung buster

hocking county
My son was shooting 3" hevi-shot magnum blend with a hevi-shot choke in his 20ga. We were getting low and all I could find in hevi-shot was 2.75" hevi-13 in 6's so I bought them. I'm glad I did because his gun liked them! My advice would be to buy some in 2.75" and try a hevi-shot choke.