Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 11

lung buster

hocking county
Best of luck to Kody, Klay & Mason if your heading out in the am! If the birds are where they were this morning, Andrew should have a pretty good chance! I was within 100 yds or so of 4-5 and they were hammering! Andrew gets tomorrow and his sister will get Sunday after a little chocolate and before church. Be safe!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We don't have any birds locked down. The fields have been empty in the mornings where they usually hang every spring. But, Klay will be sitting with my dad where Kody shot his good gobbler last year.

I'll have Kody on the other side of the field. I got a spot ready this morning and there was some fresh scratching sign in the woods edge. Hopefully they show for both boys.

Good luck to all the kiddos!

lung buster

hocking county
We got set up before daylight and as the day woke we were right under 6 hens. The old tom was further out the ridge than he was yesterday. The hens gave us an awesome show with cuts, cackles, and yelps but they flew down and went straight to him. He never gobbled the rest of the am.

Back at it again tomorrow with my daughter going on her 1st turkey hunt. It's gonna be tough getting her one but she did harvest 2 deer this past season and the girl can shoot!

Andrew will get out again Mon because they are on spring break...

lung buster

hocking county
I know what you mean. My daughter is 6 and were getting up at 4:30 to do the Easter thing and plan to be in woods by 6 and to church at 9:30. Then its eat and off to work for old dad. Unfortunately we couldn't hunt the evening's. Good luck and Happy Easter to your family!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good luck with the kids guys. I'm taking a kid out before church in the morning too, hope it goes well. Happy Easter!

lung buster

hocking county
Well today played out about the same as yesterday. Once again we were set up under hens at day break. There were 2 toms on the next ridge over and I kept the hens fired up until they finally flew down right to the gobblers. We would get a gobble from them once in awhile but they had what they wanted. It was a pretty good 1st hunt for my daughter!

Here is a pic of Addy getting her Easter morning hunt on,lol.

Andrew will get another crack at them in the morning!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Kody cashed in! We hit it this evening and heard gobbling as soon as we got out of the truck. My dad took Klay to the area we heard it gobble and I took Kody on out the ridge top.
As we were walking, the gobbler just kept sounding off in between Klay and Kody.
I made a few calls on the slate and he opened up right by us and all of a sudden appeared and put on quite a show. Everytime I clucked, purred, or yelled he went nuts.
Kody delivered a great shot through some thick stuff.

As we are taking it all in, we hear Klay shoot not 5 minutes later. The text from my dad was "missed". Dang! Almost a double about 75 yards apart on the ridge.

We set Klay back up further out the ridge and had another one gobbling and coming in but he busted Klay having to readjust to get a shot. So close!!!

So, Kody got his third career Tom and Klay is still looking for number one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398044359.623075.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398044369.507154.jpg

lung buster

hocking county
Great job Kody!

We had a great hunt this am and were so close. We were within 75 yds of 2 toms and a hen at daylight. The hen was taking them away from us so we kept moving trying to get ahead of them. On our 3rd set up I got busted trying to get the decoy out and bumped them off the ridge. I felt bad for Andrew because I was being to aggressive trying to make it happen. If its not raining to much at daylight I'm gonna get him back out for a couple of hrs before school.

lung buster

hocking county
Another frustrating morning today. We had 3 gobblers around us, one on our right,one out in front and one on our left. I thought for sure it was on! They gobbled on the roost and answered our tree yelps but shut up when they hit the ground. Gonna give it one more try tomorrow and the kids are done until the weekend.