Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Backyard Turkeys are back!

I looked out the back window this morning, around 8:15 and there was a lone hen standing there. I thought it was a bit strange for her to be alone, so I looked out the side window and there stood her boyfriends. Just the 3 of them. I slipped on some shoes, grabbed a couple slices of bread and took the Nikon with me.

As I stepped around the side of the house, they toms (jakes) were standing about 15 feet away. I hen yelped with my diaphragm call and they gobbled instantly. I stepped around the house, in full view of them and started pinching off pieces of bread and tossing it to them. They both turned, walked over to the bread and started eating. After the last piece was tossed, I put the Nikon to work. Every time I hen yelped, they'd gobble back.

Next week I'm going to snake an arrow through one of these birds. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great pictures and sounds like a really cool experience. Now quit feeding them for the next 10 days. Then you can shoot one. lmao

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great pictures. I had turkeys in the front yard and back yard this morning about 8:15AM also. Plus I seen them running across my food plot outback about 7:30AM.

Treed

Stark County
That's awesome!! I've got to drive almost an hour and a half just to get to the farm. You can get up, have a leisurely cup of coffee, scramble a couple eggs, look out the window, run an arrow through your turkey, make some bacon, have breakfast and go get your bird. lol Great pics man!

Diablo54

Outside
Make sure not to get caught feeding them and then shooting them lol! But I see no issue of a back porch hunt with the bow!

hickslawns said:
Great pictures and sounds like a really cool experience. Now quit feeding them for the next 10 days. Then you can shoot one. lmao
I won't be able to get off work until the 24th anyway, but I know what you're saying. As for the experience, you could feel the vibration of them "drumming", while they'd strut and their gobbles were extremely loud...bouncing off of the siding on my house. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is definitely cool. I wouldn't call our area a "petting zoo" for turkeys by a long shot, but these guys seem to be comfy in your lawn. Not sure if a few bread crumbs for pictures is really the same as "baiting" them. Just wouldn't want to see you get in trouble.