Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wright-Pat security holds family at gunpoint

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Updated: Wednesday, April 9 2014, 06:17 PM EDT WRIGHT-PATTERSON AFB, Ohio (Derek Drake) -- What should have been a fun day at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force turned into a nightmare for a Columbus, Ohio family who was pulled over and held at gunpoint while leaving the public-accessible portion of the base. The incident happened on Friday, April 4, 2014 and continues to haunt the family's thoughts as they try to process exactly what happened. They say that being held at gunpoint and put in handcuffs was excessive behavior, but the base says they were following their procedures. "I'm looking at my 8-year-old grandson," said Alice Hill, who was driving the car at the time they were pulled over. "His eyes are full of tears and he says 'this is the worst day of my life.'" Hill explained the family visited the museum while the kids were on spring break. Hill's grandson was studying the Wright Brothers in school and he wanted to see the plane that is on display at the museum. Hill said she and her grandson, Aaron, were playing a common road trip game while walking in the museum parking lot. The game was to find all of the out-of-state license plates. "He's very excited, 'Look at where all of these people have come from. They're from Alaska, from New Mexico, they're from Georgia,'" Alice recalled Aaron saying while they were playing in the parking lot. But on their way out of the museum, the family van was pulled over. "I'm looking in my side view mirror and I see him step out of his vehicle," Hill described. "(He's) behind his door with his gun drawn pointing it at me." She and her daughter-in-law, front passenger Wendy Hill, were taken from of the car at gunpoint, put in handcuffs, and placed into the back of the police cruiser. "My grandchildren are screaming," Alice recalled. "I mean they are hysterical, they saw the gun." "My 5-year-old daughter is asking, 'Is grandma going to get shot?'" Wendy said. Hours later, the Hill family was told someone called 911 and reported that they had witnessed the family burglarizing cars in the museum parking lot. Alice said the officer told them, while they were detained, that the plates on their vehicle were stolen, which baffled the grandmother. "Our security force, based on limited information, made a high-risk traffic stop and believed that this vehicle was stolen based on the information they received," said CC Cassie Barlow, 88th Airbase Wing Commander at Wright-Patterson AFB. "All we can do at this point is offer our apology to the Hills," she added. "And we've invited them to come out to the base and meet the security forces." But the Hill family still feels vulnerable, and questions why this happened to them, or at all. "My son doesn't trust police officers now," Wendy Hill said. "He views them as the bad guy." ----- Information from WKRC sister station WKEF-TV, Dayton, Ohio. Follow us on Twitter @Local12 and LIKE us on Facebook for more updates.

Read More at: http://www.local12.com/news/feature...gunpoint-after-visit-wpafb-museum-10341.shtml

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Seems like they were treated just as they would have been in down town Dayton.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397355215.209640.jpg

Just pass this sign Adam???? lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seems like they were treated just as they would have been in down town Dayton.....

View attachment 20753

Just pass this sign Adam???? lol
Just step over the red line in the hanger lol. If I had not been with my sister in law I'm sure I would have gotten more then the ass chewing and verbal warning I got lol. That was at yellow Springs where I did finally get to sit in that F-16 that was in the hanger

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We got detained at Nellis AFB because we forgot to put a dumb piece of yellow paper on the dash board of the rental car during a red flag. Before driving on the flight line. :smiley_depressive:

Have been laid out on the ground with the M16 to the back of the head knee in the small of the back for an idiot breaking the RED line in a hurry, 4 or 5 of us in cuffs and explainin too the Commander wtf we did and why we won't do it again......

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
What I read this happened because someone called 911 and falsely accused them of burglarizing cars, not because they were in the wrong place.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
What I read this happened because someone called 911 and falsely accused them of burglarizing cars, not because they were in the wrong place.

I seen that as well Sam. Given the 911 call and the license plate coming back as stolen I think they would have been pulled from the car the same no matter where they was. I think the state, city, sheriff would have executed the stop the same way. This just happened to be MP's. What I was trying to point out is the fact that when you're on a military base it doesn't take much to get a gun pulled on you and detained.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I wonder who made the mistake? A friend who is Lebanese was driving through Canfield (only white people in nice cars should drive in Canfield:smiley_arrogant:)a few years ago. For some reason a cop ran the plates on his company truck. The recently hired affirmative action dispatcher screwed up the numbers and George ended up in the same position until a deputy showed up the knew him.

Of course no one ever gets punished for these screw ups.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wonder who made the mistake? A friend who is Lebanese was driving through Canfield (only white people in nice cars should drive in Canfield:smiley_arrogant:)a few years ago. For some reason a cop ran the plates on his company truck. The recently hired affirmative action dispatcher screwed up the numbers and George ended up in the same position until a deputy showed up the knew him.

Of course no one ever gets punished for these screw ups.

Lebanese? Oh, I get it. He is from Lebanon. Lebanese is the code name for the wife and I for "lesbian" when the kids are around. lmao