Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Craftsman chainsaw

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I got my chainsaw out last week to make sure everything was ok with it only to find the fuel line had dry rotted and when I grabbed it to look at the fuel pick-up the line broke. Had a heck of round trip locally trying to find some fuel line only to be told I would probably be better off getting it from Craftsman. I called and was told the fuel pick-up and fuel line would be $6.67 and with shipping $20.50 and it would be here no later them Monday. The parts actually arrived yesterday so I started on my project lol. First time I have ever torn a chainsaw apart as well lol. I pulled all the old line out and found a very small hole that I now have to make this rubber line fit in lol. After a few hours of cussing and pushing and pulling I finally get the new fuel line in and put the fuel pick-up back in and buttoned it back together. Was actually surprised I got everything back where it belong lmao.

Tomorrow is going to be test day and I will go get the fuel and oil and see what happens lol.

Anybody ever had to replace that fuel line? That is a chore I tell ya and I don't ever care to do it again lol.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Only on my Stihl trimmer. The damn fuel pickup tube is plastic in the fuel tank and it just melts. The stupidest design I ever saw.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Hope all is well RC. I had to cut my fuel line at a Very Sharp Angle. Pushed the point through the hole (greased) and pull through with needle nosed pliers. Little late for tips I know :smiley_coolpeace: But did we learn any new words?rotflmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sounds like a pain in the butt. Good old Sears part depot. Shipping and handling is 3x the part cost.

The rubber line on my Husqvarna dry rotted a few years back. The line runs from the carb to the tank then inside the tank to the fuel filter on the end. There was actually enough line to pull a new length out of the tank, cut the bad, and push it on the carb. I was shocked they had thought to include enough line in the tank to make a field repair possible.

I had to replace the fuil line in my Stil chain saw
Part was $6-7 and the dealer handed it to me

I was told it isn't the gas it self trashing fuil lines
It is the darn Methonal they add to it

I was told it was best to run 100% gasoline and oil mix
No booze

John

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sounds like a pain in the butt. Good old Sears part depot. Shipping and handling is 3x the part cost.

The rubber line on my Husqvarna dry rotted a few years back. The line runs from the carb to the tank then inside the tank to the fuel filter on the end. There was actually enough line to pull a new length out of the tank, cut the bad, and push it on the carb. I was shocked they had thought to include enough line in the tank to make a field repair possible.

Funny thing is, the replacement parts for my Craftsman said Husqvara on the packing list. TOO bad Craftsman didn't supply enough line to do the repair like you did. I do however have enough line left to do the repair again if need be but I will probably sell the thing and just buy a cheapo lmao. The other reason I couldn't make the repair even if I had enough line is it broke right where it enters the tank when I pulled the line out to the opening of the tank. Should have heard me when that happened and I knew what I had to do lol.

Rick, I cut the line at an angle and pulled with pliers and thought about putting oil on the line to help slide the line in but I was beyond reasoning with by that point lmao. Just pulled with the pliers while pushing and twisting at the top of the line where it went into the tank. I doubt any of the words I used would be new but I might have strung them together a little and made a sentence out of all of them lol.

John, I believe the local guys had some fuel line I could have used. It didn't look like anything special lol. I'm sure the line in my chainsaw is the same size fuel line used in many different chainsaws, lawnmowers,weedeaters, and just about any other small engine equipment. The guys around here are not so nice and they want to make a buck on everything they can. Crooks are what they are. Crying out loud the line was only about 5" at most. It's not like it would have broke the bank lol.