Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 9 2014

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Checking in. No expert here by a long shot. Looking forward to trying it again. Just hope I can find the time. Good luck fellas.

teej89

NE PA
Checking in also, bit of a green horn but I get lucky from time to time. Let's get on em boys.

-T.J.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ric checking in finally! Lol

I'm changing tours at work which will greatly reduce the amount of time I have to chase birds this spring but I will give it my all when I do make it out. Hoping to help Karissa kill one this season as well.

I spruced up 4 places on the farm the other day as to where we will be trying to intercept these birds during the season. Even though I don't do a lot of calling this year I'm going to do a lot less. A LOT LESS!!! Lol Large in part because EVERY time I do the hens take them directly away from me..........da bitches! Hahaha

Good luck team!!! Lets do this....

teej89

NE PA
Gonna pattern these boys Saturday. I have a 3.5"#4s I'm gonna shoot too. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397520649.407167.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Gonna pattern these boys Saturday. I have a 3.5"#4s I'm gonna shoot too. View attachment 20783

Make sure the guns in the shoulder pocket good. Make the first one count, you'll probably not want to repeat it. Lol.

I always aim center of the neck out to 30 yards out of my gun, they pattern a half neck low (5 inches) at 40 so I aim at the head from 40-50. Then right above the head from 50-70.

They're not super fast like the lighter loads hence the drop. But they stay together good and hold a hell of a pattern. Not to mention it's 2 1/4 oz of hevi shot flying at the bird.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
Make sure the guns in the shoulder pocket good. Make the first one count, you'll probably not want to repeat it. Lol.

I always aim center of the neck out to 30 yards out of my gun, they pattern a half neck low (5 inches) at 40 so I aim at the head from 40-50. Then right above the head from 50-70.

They're not super fast like the lighter loads hence the drop. But they stay together good and hold a hell of a pattern. Not to mention it's 2 1/4 oz of hevi shot flying at the bird.

Haha yeah I'm banking on that first shot being a ringer. I had to give em a go after seeing your results. I liked that graphic you showed explaining how the pattern spreads out with the different size shot at the different ranges.

Huckleberry Finn

Put the plug in the gun along with the turkey choke. Found a box of old shells. Bought an unnecessary but very comfortable lounge chair at Cabela's. Yup, I'm ready for a nap on Monday, I think.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bought my license and turkey permit. Probably should go make sure the Mossturd is going to fire this year. If not, I suppose my old Wingmaster might come out to play. Need to do a little scouting but time is not my biggest asset right now. I will be pretty limited this season.

teej89

NE PA
Yeah my time is gonna be very limited this year too. I've been away every weekend for the past 4 weeks and am gone this weekend so my scouting has been zilch. My old man is hunting the entire first week so I guess that'll be my scouting lol

Huckleberry Finn

If I can coax them 100 yards I will kill a bird tomorrow. And if I can stay sitting, I have been tore up the last 24 hrs..so it should be good. Maybe

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck Steve. That would feel pretty good to lay one out in the morning.

Verified the shotgun would function and patterns were true. Collapsible stock on a 12g shooting 3" Magnums leaves the shoulder wondering what the heck it did to you to deserve such punishment.

Been out the last couple evenings as well as yesterday morning. Not a bird to be found. I am heading out anyway. Good luck to you all.

teej89

NE PA
Will be up at 4... For work tho unfortunately. Good luck to you guys going out!

Shot the 3-1/2s on Saturday and hot dog do those things throw a tight pattern at 50yds. I have Friday Saturday and Sunday to chase em.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I don't hit the snooze and roll over, I plan on trying it in the morning. My foreman saw 4 toms a few hundred yards away from my property yesterday. I went in tonight to see if I could roost them or hear anything. Nothing. Probably won't hunt my place. Sub 8 acres doesn't leave me much room to play. Would just have to get lucky with them passing through. I will hit a different set of properties where I have 150 acres between the two parcels. Haven't seen anything there recently. They are generally in the vicinity though. I drove over at last light. Threw out some hoot owl calls. Nothing. I will set up where I have seen them roost in the past and hope for the best. If nothing else, it will be a shed hunting trip and I will enjoy the outdoors.

teej89

NE PA
I did actually, I was back in PA with the old man and he was like alright lets set it up at 25yds. After some arguing I got him convinced to set up the target at 40yds. The first shot was a lil high and left, probably me just wincing haha! but we walked out and he just started laughing cuz he was so impressed at the pattern. We set a new target back up at 40 and man I slammed the head on the last one. After that he told me if I get one hung up at 50 to not think twice about pulling the trigger lol

Thanks for introducing me to these with your thread!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They make you question your manhood after shooting them Joe. I like to think I have a decent pain threshold. Shoot 2-3 of these and you question your manliness. Those suckers hurt the shoulder. lmao

teej89

NE PA
They're the first 3-1/2" i've ever shot before. I was using my dads old 870 since I graduated from my 20ga and everyone had me all worked up they were gonna whip the snot outta me lol they really didn't bother me, I woulda shot another but at $4 a shell i'd rather save it for mister tom.

I haven't been out yet, my dad has been out since tuesday and didn't hear a thing tuesday or wednesday. I sent him to a spot I knew of and he heard a bird but got busted setting up on him... I have a feeling we can get on these birds if he didn't spook em good.

I do have to work tomorrow but I'm pretty sure when I wake up i'm going to have a stomach bug and have to go to the doctors till 11 ;)