Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Barn question

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hope Sam or other knowledgable barn fellas here can help me here. I met a farmer that has a few hand hewn barn beams he said he'd like to get rid of but he has no idea what their worth. They are 24' long and are 8x8's. They appear to be oak and have some nails in them but look to be rather straight. I would like to buy a couple to use in our basement for columns,fireplace accents or crowning or something.

What would they be worth?

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I would say whatever you are willing to give or what he is willing to take... those things are really not as rare as you think...people are always tearing those barns down. I would make him a decent offer...maybe 50 bucks apiece and see what he says.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Used to be the "in" thing and they were going for $200 for 12 ft of the right look. Now I think Ben is on the money.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah Sam, I stopped by today and measured them. He even suggested maybe ripping one for like a big chair rail or some kind of wall accent. I'd like to do something with them if I decide to buy them from him and get started on the basement sometime. Just need to prepare a place behind the house to store them and keep them off the ground till I'm done procrastinating. Lol

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
24' should be worth some $$. You can't hardly buy them that long custom sawn. Shame to cut them.

When the neighbor died 20 yrs. ago they burned down his old barn. The main beams were 100 ft. long and the trees where cut on that farm in the 1920's. What a lose by some stupid people from town.