Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Mineral/supplement

Ricer2231

I wasn't sure where to put this so if this is the wrong spot please move it for me. Looking for opinions on what you all use. I am wanting to use some for the deer herd where I hunt and I wanted to use something you all suggest. All input is appreciated. Thanks.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Last year there was some talk about getting a bulk amount of Jesse's mix bagged for us. Anyone thinking that's possible this year?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It could be arranged, but it would have to be coordinated with a TOO gathering to make transport possible. I have access to the materials and could get it mixed and bagged.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll buy some if it pans out! Actually, I might just go to the feed mill this Saturday and see if they have the stuff.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I doubt you can get it is less than those amounts. Stored in an airtight container in a dry area, this mix will last you a couple seasons. Its nice to have quantity for maximum attraction and it doesn't break the bank like the mass marketed stuff.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I put out Jesse's mix two weeks ago.

One done last week. Another property done tonight. Two more to go. Love to see the does and fawns hitting it as well as the bucks as their antlers are growing. Healthy herd is a good thing.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
What is Jesses mixture? And what would be the suggested amount for a 4-5 acre hunting property. I wont be covering the whole property. Just small 10 x 10 patches.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Click on the links in my first post and it will take you to the recipe.

One site per 40 acres is what most biologists would suggest. No need for more than one on a 5 acre property. The deer will find it. I have one on 80 acres and the deer hammer it. Never felt the need for another.

Ricer2231

Please critique me on this post and my technique, because I have never put a mineral site out and I'm learning as I go here.

I am wanting to try two different types of mineral so Tad is going to mix up a batch of Jesses blend and I put out a batch of the Trophy Rock variety today. I bought a bag of Trophy Rock 465 and a gallon of Apple flavored Buck Jam as an attractant.
Boarhead (Brian) uses the Trophy Rock mineral and has had great results so I thought I would try it and Jesses to see which worked best for me in my neck of the woods.

I started out by spading up a patch approximately 4'x4' and then using a hoe to work it up real good.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397951062.493469.jpg
I dumped about 20# of the 465 on there and worked it in with some of the Buck Jam.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397951157.658896.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397951188.025755.jpg
Then I sprinkled the other 10# of 465 on top and gave it another shot of Buck Jam.

I really didn't have a good water source nearby but I did have an area within 50 yards of where I put my mineral site that is always wet from a spring but never pooled up. So I decided to dig out a watering hole and see if it would hold water. There was quite a bit of clay there so maybe it will hold water and the deer will have somewhere close to drink.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397951762.596936.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397951777.848020.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397951794.851498.jpg

Here is an overall look of my mineral site with my trail cam on the shellbark hickory on the left.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397951881.710380.jpg
And here is a view from my trail camera angle.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397951974.122036.jpg
Like I said at the beginning please feel free to tell me what looks good, what looks bad and what I could do better on my next site. I'm learning here.
And thanks Boarhead and Jesse for all your help and advice.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Looks good Don like I said find one that works good for you and stick with it and most will work some just better than others and I have tried several over the years and found one that works good for me. Have had mine out since March and am getting lots of deer pics and several bucks hitting them and are starting to grow some racks already. Good luck and wont be long they will be tearing yours up.

Ricer2231

I'm gonna put a batch of yours out TOO as soon as Tad gets it made up. I'm looking forward to seeing which one the like best. Hopefully they will hammer both of them. :)