Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rotating Magazines

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The mags getting weak because of being compressed has been proven a myth. Loaded, unloaded...doesn't matter. The springs being worked is what will weaken them over time. Just the way these type of springs work.

I didn't believe it until I spoke with an engineer from Mecgar and he confirmed.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The mags getting weak because of being compressed has been proven a myth. Loaded, unloaded...doesn't matter. The springs being worked is what will weaken them over time. Just the way these type of springs work.

I didn't believe it until I spoke with an engineer from Mecgar and he confirmed.

Agreed. Spring memory was more of a problem with Vietnam era magazines. Today's magazine spring steel is has all but eliminated memory issues.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
HA! I saw the subject of this thread and thought it had something to do with keeping the reading material new around the throne. Guess I've spent TOO much time bowhunting the last few years and not enough gun time.

Huckleberry Finn

Thanks...

It's my Sunday evening habit to drop the magazine, rack out the plus one, and then reload. The magazines for my Stoeger are $40 a pop and I'd rather not weaken them. $80 of magazines for a gun I paid under $350 for.

Huckleberry Finn

HA! I saw the subject of this thread and thought it had something to do with keeping the reading material new around the throne. Guess I've spent TOO much time bowhunting the last few years and not enough gun time.

That's easy, newest one goes at the front of the rack! When you've read that one, you start rereading from the back (oldest).

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just bought a 70.00 second mag for my Astra 300 380ACP CCW pistol. Both are loaded. I figure a unloaded mag isn't going to be of any use to me when needed. Weak mags can be replaced and my life can't be replaced.

As a matter of fact I just found some loaded AR15 mags from a PD trip 10 yrs. ago and the springs are functioning as new. The same with couple H&K 300 22 Mag. magazines from the same trip. The H&K 300 mags are 100.00 plus when you can find them.

Last edited:
I have 12 rounds in the Glock 22 mags , they hold 15 rounds
I know the new springs are suposed to be OK to leave fully loaded

But 15 or 12 rounds of 40 S&W ammo in a night stand gun
IMO the first 1 or 2 are or should be all I need

John

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The go to magazines are loaded. The spares are kept in storage until they are needed. If I would need more rounds than I currently have loaded faster than I can put speed loaders in AR magazines I'm in so deep the odds of me getting out aren't good.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Agreed. Spring memory was more of a problem with Vietnam era magazines. Today's magazine spring steel is has all but eliminated memory issues.

Just thought of something. My Astra 300 380ACP Nazis Officers pistol magazines are from WW11. That 70 plus years. Both springs operate as new. Better spring metal?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Most magazines (even older ones) will be uneffected by being compressed for absurd amounts of time. Uncle recently found a mag from his 1960's Colt that fell behind his toolbox in what he estimated to be 1970 something. Worked like new...

Shoulder Blade

I figure a unloaded mag isn't going to be of any use to me when needed. Weak mags can be replaced and my life can't be replaced.

I agree. I was in a situation where I thought I was caught off guard and needed to load a clip.

I had .45acp hollowpoints falling over the floor cause the adrenaline already kicked in and i couldn't get them in the magazine.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just thought of something. My Astra 300 380ACP Nazis Officers pistol magazines are from WW11. That 70 plus years. Both springs operate as new. Better spring metal?

Maybe the nazis used better springs than we did lol. IDK. But I know surplus Vietnam era M-16 mags have issues with spring memory when left loaded. How long have you left those Astra mags loaded?