Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

870 sling studs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As some of you know for utility shotguns I'm a Mossberg fan through and through. Not only is the safety and pump release in a smarter place, but here's a couple more.

I bought Travis a Rem 870 for Christmas. Noticed it didn't come with sling studs in the stock or end of the tube mag cap. (They do with mossberg btw) Mildly annoying but no problem. I'll pick some up. I'm sure they're widely available. This weekend I looked and looked for the stud pack at a couple different stores. All I could find was replacement cap kits with the stud installed for 25 bucks. Huh. Strange. Went up to the gun counter at Gander and asked to see an 870. Unscrewed the cap and looked through the hole in the end cap. NOT THREADED. This went from mildly annoying to F'n ridiculous. Ok Remington, I can understand if your cheap ass didn't include sling studs even though they would have cost you less than a damn quarter. But to not thread the cap for one is just absolutely, positively, the dumbest shit I've ever seen. How much extra would it have cost you to run a tap on a hole you drilled. What. Like a fraction of a penny. Boneheads. OH! And hope you need anything but a mod choke. Because the Full and Imp that comes with a Mossberg doesn't with a 870. But you can buy them for an extra 40 bucks.

Pffffttt. Remington 870.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Oh. And the extraction spring throws shells like a limp wristed teenager on a San Francisco baseball team. Don't cant the gun left any when you pump it, doesn't have the ass to clear the shell out of the port.

Pffffftttt.

Huckleberry Finn

Having the safety in a logic place = priceless. :smiley_clap:

--

There is no question that 870s have cheapened over the years, I'd buy synthetic over the wood the put on the new ones.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Shitty finish that wears off thru normal use.... My sons 870's finish is bare in spots that get handled a lot....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Having the safety in a logic place = priceless. :smiley_clap:

--

There is no question that 870s have cheapened over the years, I'd buy synthetic over the wood the put on the new ones.

Yeah logical. Thumb activated. Like they are on their model 700 rifles. Or Ar-15s. Or M-60s, or 1911s. Or Glocks. Or pretty much anything designed smart and doesn't use a safety that belongs on a BB gun.

Huckleberry Finn

Yeah logical. Thumb activated. Like they are on their model 700 rifles. Or Ar-15s. Or M-60s, or 1911s. Or Glocks. Or pretty much anything designed smart and doesn't use a safety that belongs on a BB gun.

lmao I knew I'd draw a good comment out of ya!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Benelli, Beretta, Browning... All HIGH END and extremely popular guns with SERIOUS shotgunners.... NONE of which have a thumb safety (except the browning BPS). Hmmm... That's strange. Surely if it was most logical and preferred by hunters these guns would have been designed that way. What a bunch of stupid, nonsensical gunmakers. Pssshhhh.

It's all preference. I myself prefer a safety near the trigger so I don't have to reposition my thumb prior to shooting. That being said, I would rather reach for an out of place safety than have to handle a boxy, rickity, noisy, ugly Mossberg. Lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Benelli, Beretta, Browning... All HIGH END and extremely popular guns with SERIOUS shotgunners.... NONE of which have a thumb safety (except the browning BPS). Hmmm... That's strange. Surely if it was most logical and preferred by hunters these guns would have been designed that way. What a bunch of stupid, nonsensical gunmakers. Pssshhhh.

It's all preference. I myself prefer a safety near the trigger so I don't have to reposition my thumb prior to shooting. That being said, I would rather reach for an out of place safety than have to handle a boxy, rickity, noisy, ugly Mossberg. Lol

Not only is it the most logical position it's also ambidextrous. Want to talk high end? Where is the safety on pretty much any SxS or OU that you've ever seen? Or guns people use in high stress situations like combat. All M16 variants, the m240b, m60, 1911, glock, even the old Thompsons. "High end" doesn't mean logical or practical. But it doesn't surprise me. This is from the same manufacturer that bothered to drill a hole in a magazine cap but not have the engineering foresight to thread said hole.

As for moving the thumb, moving it down uninstructed 1/4 inch takes far less motor skills that pushing a button with the tip of your trigger finger, inserting said finger in a trigger guard, laying said finger in the trigger, and maintaining a proposer squeeze. With the thumb safety they trigger finger is where it should be when the safety is disengaged, on the trigger. This could be even better demonstrated in cold weather with thick gloves. I wonder how many waterfowl have been missed by safety fumbles or poor trigger position while wearing heavier gloves with trigger guard safeties.

As for the boxy rickty noisy mossberg. I am in now way seeing the 200 dollar price justification difference in the 870 as a utility shotgun. By the time you purchase the items not included with the 870 that are with the Mossy plan on adding another 80 bucks to the price of the gun.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Another issue. All mossberg guns come with a drilled and tapped receiver for the addition of a picatiny rail for optics. Remington 870. Plan on another 40 bucks and adding an ugly, clunky, square saddle that wraps around the receiver and replaces bolts.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Actually. If we want to compare fairly. At $429 the mossberg 835 ultra mag would be a more comparable price to the 870 by the time you buy the 870, and the not included sling mounts, and two additional chokes. The 835 is a much better quality gun than the 500 and can shoot 3.5s. And still has a drilled and tapped receiver unlike the 870.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Another issue. All mossberg guns come with a drilled and tapped receiver for the addition of a picatiny rail for optics. Remington 870. Plan on another 40 bucks and adding an ugly, clunky, square saddle that wraps around the receiver and replaces bolts.

That I'll agree with.

Oh and the big green R eats babies...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tell us how you really feel.:smiley_crocodile:

Safety on mine never bothered me. The finish on their "wood" stocks leaves much to be desired. I have seen better balsa wood. The finish on my newer Remington sucks. It wore off the first week of use in many places. I will grant you that one. A sling swivel would be nice. Good point. Frustration in desire to mount a scope with little "good" options does suck.

On the flip side, called in my first turkey last year. The Mossberg "Grandslam Turkey Special" failed to fire. My 870 has never done that to me.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I'm still trying to figure out where the thumb safety on a glock is???

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Interesting thoughts. To me a current production firearm is just a tool like a hammer or screwdriver. Use it and don't abuse it. Now a older collector firearm I look at as a investment and don't abuse it or destroy it by altering it in any way.
I feel life is too short to worry about altering a current production firearm and be concerned about future long term value. You won't probably be there to see it anyway so enjoy the firearm during your life time. My take on it anyway and may conflict with others thoughts or believes. Hell a nice 500.00 gun is only about 60-70 fast food meals at McDonalds and we all know were that ends up in a day or so. Down the drain.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I wasen't going to jump on your band wagon Joe but...

YA!. WTF! I have always been a Winchester man but got a deal on a 870 combo deal... They did have a sling stud screwed into the rear stock but no sling cap on the front. Ended up buying the over-priced swivel sling cap somewhere...Fuggers...