Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Basement window replacement

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I post this as encouragement to those putting this off. I realize not all windows are the same, but I would imagine 50-70yrs ago, many were similar to mine when installed. Not as many options then.

It started with a 9yr old and soccer ball. It ended with my son and I replacing a window together today. Before you go thinking I am a mean Dad, I will fill you in. I told my son the window was old and needed to be replaced. I told him I would split the cost with him and we would replace it together. He had $45 saved up and offered to pay it. I said "Nope. You keep your money. You are going to earn this. It isn't coming out of Christmas or birthday money or any other allowance. You are earning this with extra chores." Now realize, I will probably be paying him for some tasks he normally would have done. I also intend on putting the money in his savings account after he earns it.

The basement is a block wall basement. They had cut slots in there and the metal frame work was mortared in. This was the most difficult part. I used an angle grinder with metal blade and cut the corners both vertically and horizontally. I used a hammer to bend the corner out of the way, and prybar to pull the sides out of the slots. The top of the metal frame was easy. It was a matter of pulling a board out which secured the top. Once the top frame piece was gone the corners and sides came out easy.

My new window was sized nicely but it had plastic tabs all around it. With these tabs it was too wide to fit in. We ended up cutting one side of the tabs off in order to install it. We had to do the same with the top tabs as well. Once this was done, I used a masonery wheel on the grinder to clean out the bottom slot and open it up a bit. Shop vac was used to clean up the dust. Window was placed in there and off to Menards we went for some caulk and expandable foam. There used to be one type which expanded like mad and made a big mess. There are several varieties now. I chose one which expands less and was designed for window/door installation. I don't think it sets up as hard but it is too wet at the moment to verify this.

Oops. Getting ahead of myself. Prior to foam I placed a board at the top on both inside and outside. It measured 1" exactly so I thought I would be getting a 1x4. Doh! Those measure 3/4". What I found is something I believe to be better given the application. 4/4 composite (plastic or whatever it is) board 4/4"x 4"x8' for around $8-9. I cut it to 32" which left a tiny gap of 1/16 on either end. I then ripped it in half on the table saw. The rest of this board will be used on the other two windows when I replace them. This board fit nicely on inside and outside and I screwed it into the board above it to snug the window up in addition to the slots already there. I was thankful to have seen this as it isn't going to shrink like treated boards, rot like untreated boards, and it was a true 1" board.

On the outside was the caulking. I caulked all around the outside as the gaps were smaller here and I wanted something to seal it up from the elements. Once again, i chose a caulk designed for this application. It adhered to concrete, vinyl, wood, etc. It remains pliable. It was waterproof. I believe it was called butyl rubber caulking.

Now I am simply waiting on the expandable foam to dry so I can caulk the inside. I thought I would be mortaring in the bottom but this fit nicely which means I can return the mortar mix.

This project was really not difficult at all and could be done by a novice. I truthfully believe we will be able to swap the other two windows in 1-1.5 hours each. Most of the time will be getting the old metal frame work out of the masonary. Tools needed: Hammer, pry bars, grinder with metal cutting and masonery wheels, drill, caulking gun, and a saw. If you want to get fancy, a table saw will rip your boards at the top but truthfully it is not seen or noticeable in our house and might not be in yours either. A circular saw or even sawzall would do the same, but not quite as clean. Materials needed: Window, caulk, screws, composite decking 4/4" board, a can of expandable foam.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I replaced the one in our laundry room last fall. Not much to it really as long as you get a window that fits. I had to throw in a piece of decking board in the header to fill in a small gap. A little Great Stuff around the edges and I was done in an hour. Looks much better and doesn't have a big hole in it!

Buckmaster

Portage
A couple years ago I replaced all 15 basement windows with those glass block type windows in my 1955 house. I was offered a tremendous savings in energy costs over those old original windows. They also increase home security. I think was like $ 1,700.00 installed for 15 2' x 3' windows. They were mortared in. Well worth the investment.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I replaced the one in our laundry room last fall. Not much to it really as long as you get a window that fits. I had to throw in a piece of decking board in the header to fill in a small gap. A little Great Stuff around the edges and I was done in an hour. Looks much better and doesn't have a big hole in it!

Good deal. I am not one to shy away from a project but tearing into mortar and block had me hesitant. Thus the reason I posted this thread. If this task is daunting to others, they need not hesitate any longer. Not so bad.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Obviously, this all lost me. :smiley_confused_sch However, Zeus broke a bedroom window this winter. It is an old double pane window and he broke the inside pane.

My plan is to buy a piece of plexiglass and caulk it in (hopefully). Since Zeus continues to look out and sometimes jump at this window (when a female is in heat and goes outside to potty) I want to find plexiglass that is strong but flexible. I know they make different thicknesses, but I'm hoping for something has also has a bit of give to it...?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice write up Phil. At least you aren't a man of few words in you instructions. Doing it yourself sure saves on the cash outflow and leaves more cash for hunting equipment.