Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Starting a big project.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Work is supposed to start tomorrow rebuilding the wall of my barn. It was pushing in bad and a few years ago I dug the dirt away because it was pushing on the barn.

It going to take 1000 12" block, they'll be filled with rebar and concrete. A footer 3' below the floor will make it about 11' tall and 34' wide with 8' returns on each side, and pilasters to support 5 beams. A couple beams need replaced while we're at it.

A few before pics.

I'll post more pics as the work progresses.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Now would be a good time to add in that fall-out shelter you always dreamed of. . .

Or expand the one that's already under there...mischeif.gif

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Love it! Glad to see you putting in the effort to keep her around. I hate seeing these old barns torn down.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck and be safe. Too many of these old treasures just rot away and fall down.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
What would you guess-t-mate replacement cost of the barn in today's dollars at?

Good friends built a 60x40 post and beam barn for a market last year and it ran over $300,000. That barn used pine timbers and a tin roof. This barn is 70x70 hard wood timbers and a slate roof. I'd think it would be hard to duplicate for a million.

I'm not doing the work, hired a contractor out of Hartville. Yes the wall was caving in, that wasn't demolition. However I had dug the dirt away from it a few years ago.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Love old barns! Look forward to seeing it progress Sam!

I do too.
Working over in the back roads of sw pa these last few years have caused me to stop more than a few times to admire a old barn and ocasionally take a few picts. Just something about em.