Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New trappers

zz3l4b

My 12yr old son expressed an interest in trapping this year.

We do a little nuisance trapping around the farm but now he wants to get more serious about it.

Our property borders a state game lands, which has a river that runs through it, and we have beaver, rats and allot of coons.

What animal should we target on our first year of trapping and what kinds of traps should we use.

Also, are there fur buyers out there that will buy the whole animal?

Thanks

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Coon are about the easiest and a lot of numbers of them. And yes I'm sure there is a local buyer that will buy fur on the carcass. Depending on your rat numbers they are relatively easy to catch. Most trappers will target all but coon can be caught anywhere.

Ricer2231

My 12yr old son expressed an interest in trapping this year.

We do a little nuisance trapping around the farm but now he wants to get more serious about it.

Our property borders a state game lands, which has a river that runs through it, and we have beaver, rats and allot of coons.

What animal should we target on our first year of trapping and what kinds of traps should we use.

Also, are there fur buyers out there that will buy the whole animal?

Thanks

Coon and rats are both pretty easy to catch. The big drawback with rats, and your son being 12, is they are a water animal and I don't know if your son will be walking his line by himself or have you or someone with him. As a safety measure. I trap rats by bodygrippers and finding their holes they dig into the bank of the lake or creek, I don't trap dens like some do. Nine times out of ten, if you find an active hole you will most likely catch one the first night. The plus about rats is they are the easiest animal you will ever put up, if you intend the flesh and stretch them. Your return in them will be double if you do put them up.

I would have to agree with yotehunter for a first year stab at trapping though. There's no worry of getting in trouble in water and the traps are super easy to set. I would suggest dog proof traps, Z Traps in particular. I used them this year and I love them. They have a push/pull trigger so you can catch a coon reaching in or pulling out of the trap. There are literally hundreds of different baits to use in them and it all boils down to a personal preference and what works best for you in your area. You can also set legholds for coon but it is a little trickier than Dog Proofs.
I am by no means an expert trapper but I did learn a lot this year, if you want to check out my trapping thread "First Yote Ever", and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have, if I can. I'm sure others will chime in and help you out TOO.

Last edited:

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Coon and rats are both pretty easy to catch. The big drawback with rats, and your son being 12, is they are a water animal and I don't know if your son will be walking his line by himself or have you or someone with him. As a safety measure. I trap rats by bodygrippers and finding their holes they dig into the bank of the lake or creek, I don't trap dens like some do. Nine times out of ten, if you find an active hole you will most likely catch one the first night. The plus about rats is they are the easiest animal you will ever put up, if you intend the flesh and stretch them. Your return in them will be double if you do put them up.

I would have to agree with yotehunter for a first year stab at trapping though. There's no worry of getting in trouble in water and the traps are super easy to set. I would suggest dog proof traps, Z Traps in particular. I used them this year and I love them. They have a push/pull trigger so you can catch a coon reaching in or pulling out of the trap. There are literally hundreds of different baits to use in them and it all boils down to a personal preference and what works best for you in your area. You can also set legholds for coon but it is a little trickier than Dog Proofs.
I am by no means an expert trapper but I did learn a lot this year, if you want to check out my trapping thread "First Yote Ever", and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have, if I can. I'm sure others will chime in and help you out TOO.
Yep z traps with dog food and fish oil they work great and easy to set.

Ricer2231

Just about all trapping season I used mini marshmallows and either molasses or maple syrup. I used fish oil too and caught coon but I also caught more trash such as possums and skunks.

trapper109

Medina
I like using duke 1.5 coil spring trap for coons. and 110 for Rats. just have to look first and see what kind of sign you have but a good old 220 on an H stand on the trail is always a good bet.