Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ALS Awareness - Baseball Fans Must Read!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hi everyone... some of you already know that I have a dear friend that is suffering from ALS and we are having a benefit game for him on April 25th when my HS baseball team takes on one of our cross-town rivals. A newspaper writer from the Wheeling, Wv paper called me the other day to do a story. He had it run in the Steubenville paper this morning. I thought I'd share it with all of you. Whether you are a baseball fan or not, this story is more about friendship and one friend's fight than a game. It just so happens that the game is what brought us together.

http://heraldstaronline.com/page/content.detail/id/597279/A-special-friendship.html?nav=5012

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Wow Mike that's a great write up, kudos to you for getting so involved in his fight with ALS. I hope you raise a ton of money for this game.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great article. Good luck in your cause. A friends wife passed away with ALS and she only lasted a year or so. Then my friend passed away a little over a year later.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Good job honoring your friend Mike. Your also teaching the boys on your team a valuable life lesson and that is really what being a coach is all about.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very inspiring read Mike! Thank you for sharing you and Matt's story! It's people like you that are involved with this site that makes me feel proud to be apart of. Good stuff brother!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang... just dang... Our ALS game is today. My buddy has made the long journey up from Florida and the foundation president is here from Lima to honor him, but the rain looks to be wiping the game out. We will still honor Matt in the HS gym, but it's not the same. We were all really looking forward to a nice sunny day at the ballfield with a great crowd on hand.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry to hear that the weather dampened the event but I'm glad to know he was able to make it up for it and that you guys were able to visit.