Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help Please

rsmith

So I have been scouting out a few good close locations for waterfowl for this upcoming season. I do not have any access private ponds yet so I am preparing to possibly having to settle with public land :smiley_cry: I have narrowed it down to Hambden Orchard wildlife area , Orwell wildlife area, Shenango wildlife area, Grand River wildlife area, and New Lyme wildlife area. I am just asking if anyone has any experience with any of these sights. I have never waterfowl hunted before but a couple of my buddies have on some private land and I will be going with them. I have been trying to read up and learn the game but i guess you can read all you want but you wont know how to unless you do it so if anyone has any tips for a new waterfowl hunter they will be greatly appreciated!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
My tip would be quit looking for water sources and find bean fields that are going to be corn this up coming year where bird will feed. Let the ponds stay safe loafing zones so birds stay in the area and chase them in feed fields!

rsmith

My tip would be quit looking for water sources and find bean fields that are going to be corn this up coming year where bird will feed. Let the ponds stay safe loafing zones so birds stay in the area and chase them in feed fields!

I will try thank you.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio

Agreed!!

Not that hunting water is a bad thing, but if you can leave those spots unpressured, and hunt the fields they feed in, you'll have better hunting for a longer period of time.

Now, if you watch those ponds during season and find out that they're more of a loafing or feeding spot vs a roosting spot then you'll have a nice little mixture of places to hunt.

rsmith

Agreed!!

Not that hunting water is a bad thing, but if you can leave those spots unpressured, and hunt the fields they feed in, you'll have better hunting for a longer period of time.

Now, if you watch those ponds during season and find out that they're more of a loafing or feeding spot vs a roosting spot then you'll have a nice little mixture of places to hunt.

Thank you for you insight as well! I will be trying to figure out what type of spot it is over the next couple months. I am trying to find some land and with the help that I got from Jesse with his Getting Access page hopefully I may be able to score something