Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help out an OH newbie

Rambo93

To start off I look forward to reading and seeing everyone's stories of success this season. I have been lurking here a while and finally decided to join. I finally got fed up with PA starting their season so late, May 3rd this year, and decided I'd like to give OH a try. Also the fact that I could hunt Sundays sounds great :smiley_clap: I live about 20 miles east of Pymatuning in northwest PA. Can anyone just give me a starting point to some public access in northeastern OH. I've looked at the few wildlife areas near Ashtabula and they seem awful small. Are there any other ways of looking up large tracts of public access areas? I'd like to keep my drive to within an hour or so of Linesville PA. Thank you for any and all help guys, I look forward to being a member here.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
welcome to the forum. No help on the public land but someone is bound to know something.

rsmith

Welcome to TOO!! Wish I could help as well but I will check when I get by my computer for ya

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good luck! Not real familiar with that area, but our DNR does a good job of linking all public grounds online. Welcome to TOO!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Hello and welcome I'm from north central area so I too am not familiar with north east side of Ohio. Best of luck though.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Good luck. As you have noticed, the public hunting areas in NE Ohio are small and they are hunted heavily. If you are going to spend the $ on a NR license, I would consider driving further south to Salt Fork or Egypt Valley. Not that birds can't be killed on those small areas, but it sure coan be frustrating dealing with people constantly walking in on your set ups.

teej89

NE PA
Wasn't there that guy that hunted NE Ohio this year from Arizona? He was up here to visit his wifes family or whatever and wanted to bow hunt. You guys pointed him to a piece of public ground and he said he was seeing turkeys like it was his job.

Anyone recall that?

I bet if you search the forum for arizona or whatever you may stumble upon it. Should be in the bowhunting section.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Wasn't there that guy that hunted NE Ohio this year from Arizona? He was up here to visit his wifes family or whatever and wanted to bow hunt. You guys pointed him to a piece of public ground and he said he was seeing turkeys like it was his job.

Anyone recall that?

I bet if you search the forum for arizona or whatever you may stumble upon it. Should be in the bowhunting section.

Yes, he was hunting Auburn Marsh WA. Its only 450ish acres. I've never hunted this area but drive past it all the time.

Rambo93

Thanks guys, I know this is a pretty broad question but are farmers in Ohio open to hunting or is it pretty hard to get permission in your guys' opinions? I'm not opposed to knocking on doors if that's what it takes.

Rambo93

Also I may have to look into the auburn marsh area, that's about an hour and a half from me. Thank you for the warm welcome. It's been a few years since I've tagged a bird due to helping all my buddies try and get their first, but with a new work schedule 6 on 3 off I will have plenty of week days to hunt.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Rambo, you can find success in the NE OH public areas but it won't be easy.

The Amish will hit all the areas hard during the youth weekend. I have tagged a bird off the public areas but be prepared for silent birds. My experience is I have had birds located going into youth weekend but then they are absolutely silent the Monday of opening morning. Just be there early and be patient. One last tip on these small public areas is to try middle of the week rather than weekends.

As for farmers granting access, it can be found but IMO not as easily as in NY & PA. When you get a "yes" you likely won't be the only one with permission. Just be persistent. Though tougher hunting as the birds have been pressured, I have found better success towards the end of the season when most have thrown in the towel.