Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

On the fence

Huckleberry Finn

I'm normally bouncing off the walls waiting for turkey season to come...this year I'm dragging my feet.

My traditional spot has next to zero bird sightings. I've got another spot that has always had a few birds and a new property to try out. Potentially a new person to take turkey hunting but it's been so long since I've killed one, I feel like I should quit pretending that I know what to do.

But every damn morning that I get up and step outside, I think "man...I can feel it, I can feel it"

It seems a little too early to be scouting but I think I need to get out this weekend to get a listen. If it's raining next week, that'd literally dampen my spirits even more and the weekend before season I don't think I can get out.

Anyone done any listening at the fence post for gobbles yet?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been seeing some birds here and there but haven't yet heard a gobble. And I don't think the birds have quite moved into their spring ranges up here yet. It's a little early buddy... Don't let the lack of sign bother you.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I heard gobbling almost a month ago now and have been seeing birds all over. What I hate about turkey season here in Ohio is how damn late we start. Never fails that once the opener comes around, the birds I've seen/heard are long gone and the ones that are left are locked down with hens. My patience runs thin with turkeys and I'd be more apt to chase them harder if we started earlier.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
They been gobbling a little around me but they seem to be bunched up still. My partner and I finished our permission Monday and seen thirty five still together. Its early yet every day will get better and better.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I heard gobbling almost a month ago now and have been seeing birds all over. What I hate about turkey season here in Ohio is how damn late we start. Never fails that once the opener comes around, the birds I've seen/heard are long gone and the ones that are left are locked down with hens. My patience runs thin with turkeys and I'd be more apt to chase them harder if we started earlier.

I agree 100%. There could be 1000 of them in one place and you get excited. come season, there isnt a bird in sight where you saw them all before.