Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shed recommendations

Schu72

Streetsboro
We are thinking of purchasing a shed this summer. Anyone have experience with the kits? Looking for something around 10x16 and hopefully under $4000. Heartland seems to get lousy reviews. Recommendations?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You gonna put it together yourself or buy it preassembled? Reason I ask is if you are assembling it, you might as well just build one yourself and save the $$$. I built a 12 × 16 with overhead storage for $2k. Still have the plans as well if you are interested.

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
You gonna put it together yourself or buy it preassembled? Reason I ask is if you are assembling it, you might as well just build one yourself and save the $$$. I built a 12×16 with overhead storage for $2k. Still have the plans as well if you are interested.

Can you post a pic of your shed?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Be a man & build it yourself !

Kinda my thought to be honest. lmao

It will save you money and is not a hard task for someone fairly handy. Greg's background is not woodworking, but his shed is very well done. His knowledge is an asset in a task like this and there are plenty of us on here that could help. Take your time, plan, work smart and pay attention to details and I think you'll find it to be a very rewarding experience.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Can you post a pic of your shed?

I'll have to snap a few pics this evening, as all I have are construction pics on my phone.

Kinda my thought to be honest. lmao

It will save you money and is not a hard task for someone fairly handy. Greg's background is not woodworking, but his shed is very well done. His knowledge is an asset in a task like this and there are plenty of us on here that could help. Take your time, plan, work smart and pay attention to details and I think you'll find it to be a very rewarding experience.

I will tell you, I thoroughly enjoyed drawing the plans up on the computer and planning it from start to finish. One of the best parts about building it on your own is you can build it how you want, with the materials you want, for half the cost of a prefab building. When we were looking at them (the wife didn't have faith in my abilities) most were built with 2 × 3 framing and 24" studs on center, sitting on 4 × 4 skids. I built mine with 2 × 8 floor joists, and 2 × 4 studs on 16" centers. It took me a week to build it without any help, and minimal power tools.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I've been waiting for the weather to break so I can build one. I'm going to start tomorrow and took a week off work for that project along with a few other things. Simple 8'x10' with painted pressure treated plywood walls and shingled roof, if my math was right, should be just under $800 for everything. We'll see!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Will there be code issues? Just curious. I was thinking you were in the suburbs. I am considering building a chicken coop here soon. I had planned on using metal for the roof as I have some left over. The price of metal for roofs is fairly reasonable anymore. You might consider this if it isn't a code violation.

Shoulder Blade

I just explored all these avenues. I was playing with getting a prefab shed, taking a timber framing course in TN, even bought a cheap barn plan from the internet. We pulled into a shed place, the wife took one look at what they had and said that I could fill it up in about 3 hours. She was right I could have easily crammed that thing full to the gills.

With this revelation, I was on a quest to do a larger building.

I like doing hard work and would enjoy the task. I know I could have done it but......

I would have to do it myself, my friends are worthless when it comes to helping.
It would take me forever and my wife did not want me out there every night after work.
It was cheaper to pay someone to do it rather than eat up my vacation time and what I am "worth an hour".
The Amish are damn fast and I got a decent "winter discount". The other quote was 3k more w/o a lean to.....

They had it framed/shingled in 2.5 days

Now I need:
To source a concrete floor, I will do the fill and prep work, just basically need some laborers.
To find siding and put it up.