Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Should I trade off my 1911?

Strizzi

Hey guys, looking for your opinion. I have a ruger sr1911 CMD and I'm debating on trying to trade it off for an 1187. I use to be big into pistol and target shooting and that hobby is really been on the back burner for about a year, I use to shoot once or twice a week and now I'm at about once a month. It's not my primary carry gun and my buddie/hunting partner/ shooting partner has quite a few 1911s so if I get the itch to shoot one I always have his I can shoot.

I went goose hunting for the first time this past year borrowing my brother in laws 870 and I kinda fell in love with goose hunting and dying to try duck. I've had my mind set on a new shotgun since sept. I'm thinking I really want an 1187 in camo but funds are dried up after buying one pistol and two bows since the first of the year and being completely payed off I don't wanna charge anything on the card.

Sorry for the story book, what do you guys think? Good idea? Would you make that trade?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Me I would hold off as goose season is a long way off yet. Time to save up funds and have both guns by time goose season rolls around.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Save up the money and buy a good quality waterfowl guns. The 1187 is a great gun, but not necessarily built to withstand the weather conditions that you'll hunt in for geese/ducks. I bought one to be a back up to my Benelli and it be my all purpose gun. I bought a Benelli to withstand the beating of a waterfowl season and the advice of guys who have put a few guns through the paces. Benelli, Browning, and a few others make quality guns that will last many seasons and hold their value.

Im going to go against what a lot of people in this thread have said. When was the last time you used your 1911? Do you need/use it for home defense or carry? Is it an heirloom? Will you regret selling it? If your answers were over 6months and no to the questions I'd sell it. Then buy something I'd use.
just my 2 pennies.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I traded/sold all of mine off. Just don't shoot them as well as other pistols.

If it were a something not being massed produced everyday I would say keep it. If you think you will want another if you do trade it....keep it.

Squirreling away a $100/month for a new firearm come season is a good start.