Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getaway ideas?

epe

Lancaster
We are wanting to go somewhere this summer and rent a cabin near a lake. Maybe a place where we can rent a boat so I don't have haul mine down. Thinking south of here, within a 8 hour drive. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not a boating guy but I hear lots of great things about Cumberland Lake, Dale Hollow, and several others in the area. Seems there is another in that area. Maybe Land of the Lakes?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
We are wanting to go somewhere this summer and rent a cabin near a lake. Maybe a place where we can rent a boat so I don't have haul mine down. Thinking south of here, within a 8 hour drive. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

Id hit up somewhere in TN. Gattlenburg I have heard is great!

I have also heard Cumberland Lake is great too!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
We went to Shawnee State park last year and had a blast. Me, wife and all three kids. There are two lakes within a couple miles of the cabins at the park with good fishing and cheap boat rentals. Lots of info on their website and there is a ton to do down there. We'll be back this year for sure. Thinking of going during archery season this time. Lots and lots of public land.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'd check out Lake Cumberland as well! Been there several times and its very nice! I know several guys that have been to Norris lake and Turkey Foot that they said were very nice as well!

I'd just google search them and see what places like these have to offer. Good luck and have fun Eric!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If ya go down to Lake Cumby, make sure you take beer with ya. One of my step daughters use to go down there renting out a house boat with her then husband & she would tell us those counties are dry. Maybe not all of them, but they had trouble finding beer.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great advice Kevin! It's very dry down there! There are great marinas down there as well! One is called Conley Bottom but I can't remember the other though. 3-5 of the most luxurious and expensive boats in the USA are docked on that lake.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We loved Pigoen Forge and Gatlinburg. There is a big ass lake called Douglas Lake near all that where I'm sure you could find what you were looking for. That area down there is beautiful and there is plenty to do. We are planning to go back next summer with the kid.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Also south of pigeon forge is Cherokee North Carolina and Fontana lake spent my honey moon in a cabin there didn't leave it much but what I did see I was impressed lol.... Went back 15 years later and spent the day there and wasn't disappointed....