Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NCAA Paying

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Hey all,

So before I state my opinion. What do yall think about NCAA paying its players?

If you have XM radio, you probably heard all about this the past day or two.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree with it. Why should the NCAA and schools make all the money. But I think it should be standardized across the board by position. Basically. First string QB at every university is paid the same. No more. No less. That's the only way I can see preventing big universities like OSU buying top players and the championships.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wouldn't they be taxes across the board on their complete scholarship package as well as salary? That'd be a very large tax burden and offset the money they'd have made....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Seems both parties need to sit down and work it out because this can be a win win for both. The NCAA and it's silly rules are in sunset mode.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
One thing it might encourage is kids staying in school all 4 years to earn their degree instead of leaving early for the pros.

My only argument against it is, these kids that will be getting paid are more than likely getting their education paid for already. That's a pretty good reward versus the kids who have to pay for their education.

Another point, would universities feel the need to up their tuition fees because they will cry about lost revenue? If that happens, the athletes make out like bandits and the kid who is just trying to get an engineering degree is left to pick up the financial pieces.

Not saying it would happen, just some things to ponder.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
The problem is Title IX crap. First time Joe Quarterback gets paid, your gonna have some FemiNazi bulldyke pissing and moaning that little Katie on the women's backgammon team should be making the same amount. Then the liberal media will back Katie in her fight for equality and anybody who knows its bullshit that happens to say it publicly will be the villain. They really need to up the stipends for all the athletes. And if your in a revenue producing sport like football or basketball, you should have a savings built up for you when you graduate. If you leave early, you lose a shitload of it like early retirement withdrawls. If and when you graduate, here's your money that you helped the university make

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I agree Cotty!

1. What happened to playing a sport for the joy of the sport? An opportunity to be a Football star at an OSU, SEC, etc.
2. Education is getting paid for
3. If they are paying these kids and the guy leaves for pros, does he pay the university back?
4. Yes they bring revenue to the school. I know I know, they have been doing that for the last 70 years.

I see both sides, I just really dont think these kids need to get paid for playing football.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I agree, a lot of these kids already are big headed, why make them even worse. Most athletes would give anything to play DIV I College ball. When did that become not good enough.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I agree, a lot of these kids already are big headed, why make them even worse. Most athletes would give anything to play DIV I College ball. When did that become not good enough.

exactly! Maybe because you and I are younger we can relate to that. I would have given my left nut twice to play D1 ball! I never would have complained about getting to play among 100,000 ppl, getting TV time, getting pussy like crazy! Playing football is a choice for these guys, if they dont want to put the time in, then go be just a coms major, and get a job to pay for it yourself.