Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting organized

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
With deer season over and being the early bird that I am I got to thinking about this upcoming season. I have a 3 ring professional zipper binder that I purchased about 10 years ago just setting around collecting dust. I decided to blow the dust off of it and put it to some use again. I went into the county auditor page and pulled up my land owners properties and printed off pages of property lines and also added a google earth pic of the property that I have taken into paint and added property lines to. I then printed off some cover pages with the land owners names on them and placed the cover page and maps into those 8x10 photo album pages. I also added some permission slips and a couple highliters and pens as well as a notepad for land owner contact information and whatever else I might need to write down. As soon as I get the slips signed I can add the original slip into the album pages that are snapped into the binder with the land owner info and make copies to put in my hunting bag this fall.

I am also thinking of adding the tri-fold personal info pack that Jesse made up at some point to add to the binder just incase I get those land owners that might be on the fence. I can then leave one of those tri-folds with them and check back in a couple weeks to see if they have looked it over and had time to think about it ;)

Lets hear how organized or unorganized you guys are or just call me a loon lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I carry a 3-ring binder in my truck with the 8x10 sleeves and pocketed folder in it. Each property I have permission on has its own sleeve where I keep a copy of the slip and a map. Whenever I am parked there, I place the slip in the window of my truck. I have a folder with my brochures, permission slips, signed copies of the slips, and a regs booklet. I also keep a folder with auditor printouts of potential properties and notes.

Ain't nothing wrong with being organized!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Good stuff Jesse. I will have to toss in a reg book as well when they come out this summer. I only have one property that has asked me to display the signed slip in the window when I am there. (not sure why as they never bother checking or dealing with the trespassers anyway) With more properties I figured I better get some sort of organization in place so I don't misplace slips like I did last year. Never bothered to hunt that property last season so when I lost the slip it really wasn't a big deal and I could have had another one signed if I would have wanted.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I do about the same thing with a 3 ring binder. Everything does into it and never have to look for anything. Matter of fact my new property owner was really impressed with my property binder. He commented on it.
I carry my permission slip and license copies in one special pocket on my backpack I use every time I hunt. Knife, sharping edge, flashlight, matches, laytex gloves, and nothing else goes into that same pocket.
I have another binder for my food plot plantings and info.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just the fact that I took time to do a brochure has got me permission before. It separates you from the herd. Props to Joe for the blueprint to that.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I have a binder as well. Google earth shots of private properties as well as public grounds in the area. Along with the public ground pics I also have Maps aquired from the park offices and any topographic info i can get on each area.

When I update the google pics the season, Im going to be painting in white bars in any ag fields on the public grounds so I can pencil in what is planted in each field in the spring. Next season I just erase what was there the previous year and jot down whats there this time.

I have also been keeping Half assed notes on where I have seen game while hunting, where other hunters prefer to sit and park, any trails Ive found where deer have been drug out...I need to get more detailed on those notes and add them to my binder.

Good idea on the copies of permission slips, I'll be doing that this year as well.