Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tuning a Faktor Turbo

Treed

Stark County
I just bought a Faktor Turbo from FF&F in Canton. I'm looking for someone who knows Hoyt bows and can get this thing tuned out and dialed in. I don't know how to do it myself but I would like to learn at some point. That leaves me with one option, finding for someone who's good at it. I live in NE Ohio and would prefer to keep it local if possible. Can any of you guys recommend a good tech somewhere in my part of the state? I appreciate your input. Thanks for looking.
Josh

Treed

Stark County
Milo.............

lol.......I really should have just PMed him. I don't know Milo personally but I have seen quite a few posts from other TOOzers who have had him work on their rig and the common consensus seems to be he's the man to see about these things. So, how about it Milo? Can you help me get this piece of aluminum awesomeness shooting to it's full potential?

Was worth my time to stop by on my way down last summer from Michigan, it will be well worth your time to head over and learn a little about what it takes to tune your bow. Now I want to get my own bow press and learn how to do it all on my own!!

Treed

Stark County
Was worth my time to stop by on my way down last summer from Michigan, it will be well worth your time to head over and learn a little about what it takes to tune your bow. Now I want to get my own bow press and learn how to do it all on my own!!

That's my end goal as well. I'm a born tinkerer. Thanks for the recommendation!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Milo knows his Hoyts. You won't go wrong there man.

Out of curiosity, how was your service at The Fin? Did they not set the bow up and tune it for you when you bought it?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Milo knows his Hoyts. You won't go wrong there man.

Out of curiosity, how was your service at The Fin? Did they not set the bow up and tune it for you when you bought it?

All they did with my Mathews I bought 2 years ago was set it up, make sure everything was lined up, and they had me shoot a few arrows in a half ass 10 yard range. I took it home and got it sighted in myself but its still not tuned. Its my first bow, I sure as hell don't know how TOO tune one Lol. Plus I don't think anyone there could draw my bow back anyway cause I have a 32" draw.

Treed

Stark County
All they did with my Mathews I bought 2 years ago was set it up, make sure everything was lined up, and they had me shoot a few arrows in a half ass 10 yard range. I took it home and got it sighted in myself but its still not tuned. Its my first bow, I sure as hell don't know how TOO tune one Lol. Plus I don't think anyone there could draw my bow back anyway cause I have a 32" draw.

Pretty much the same. They put all the accessories on and make sure they're lined up and shooting. They adjust your draw weight and tie in your peep but you're pretty much on your own from there. I bought a Hoyt Charger from them last year and had them put a drop away on it. I sighted it in and hunted with it. I took two deer so it worked well enough but I'm one of those guys who likes to have things dialed in tight. I put Geissele triggers in my ARs for the same reason. The stock trigger works at 7 pounds or so but it breaks like a carrot. I'd rather have a 3 pound trigger break like glass. It's pretty much the same concept.
Don't get me wrong, the guys at FF&F were very helpful and knowledgeable about their inventory, this is the second bow I've bought from them in as many years so they must be doing something right. I just don't think they do a lot of fine tuning there considering their limited shooting space. It's literally a 10 yard long closet. =)

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
They are not structured to really setup a bow. It's takes time and effort to set one up and tune it. They don't make money if they are servicing you and not selling merchandise. It's an industry problem just not exclusive to FF &F.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pretty much the same. They put all the accessories on and make sure they're lined up and shooting. They adjust your draw weight and tie in your peep but you're pretty much on your own from there. I bought a Hoyt Charger from them last year and had them put a drop away on it. I sighted it in and hunted with it. I took two deer so it worked well enough but I'm one of those guys who likes to have things dialed in tight. I put Geissele triggers in my ARs for the same reason. The stock trigger works at 7 pounds or so but it breaks like a carrot. I'd rather have a 3 pound trigger break like glass. It's pretty much the same concept.
Don't get me wrong, the guys at FF&F were very helpful and knowledgeable about their inventory, this is the second bow I've bought from them in as many years so they must be doing something right. I just don't think they do a lot of fine tuning there considering their limited shooting space. It's literally a 10 yard long closet. =)

Yea that's kinda what I figured. Like Milo said, that seems to be the way most big shops operate these days. The guys at The Fin are usually pretty good about doing different things when you ask them to, but it's not exactly their standard procedure when a customer buys a bow. Even so, their end product is never as good as what an individual tuner will produce.

Treed

Stark County
They are not structured to really setup a bow. It's takes time and effort to set one up and tune it. They don't make money if they are servicing you and not selling merchandise. It's an industry problem just not exclusive to FF &F.
That's kind of what I figured.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
That's kind of what I figured.

They realistically only make probably 250 a bow (bare) and they have a long carry time generally. Put an 800 dollar AR and and 800 dollar bow on the shelf and see which one moves the most. Figure each person takes at least 2 hours to setup and tune and that's only 4 people a day that can be serviced properly. I finally got my schedule worked out some so I will send you a pm..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
After seeing Milo in action on my bows, I get what he is saying. Those guys at the Fin I will not knock. It simply takes time and knowledge. Finding the person with the knowledge to take a job there AND having management at a large store allow their associate to dedicate that much time to the customer is not realistic.

That's basically what they did for me last year at the Mathews dealer I bought mine from. When I asked about tuning it they looked at me as if I just spoke a foreign language LOL. I'd say most bow shops are good setter-uppers but I'd venture to say that most (shops & tech's) don't know how to actually tune and get that thing shooting lightning bolts.

After seeing what it actually takes to go through everything like you did Milo I can understand why they won't take the time to do it all. That's where I would say that most of the tech's in these bow shops really don't know how to "tune" a bow beyond manufacturers specs.