Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scary moment...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I love my dog, but he is a damned bone head sometimes. No time is he worse than when around quads or UTVs. I've ran him over with a quad once, and ran up his backside one time. When he runs next to the Kubota RTV 900 we have at the farm, he usually keeps his distance. Yesterday we were driving the field edge and I slowed down to go through a drainage. Just as I was beginning to accelerate, Remi jumped the drainage, but did it at an angle such that it put him right in front of me as I was begging to turn right. Sure as shit, I ran him over with the front half of the Kubota. Thankfully I was going slow enough that I stopped before the rear (and most of the weight) ran him over. He came out from under yelping like hell and favoring his front left paw. When I first glanced, I thought I saw bone and I wanted to puke. Not that that stuff bothers me, but knowing that my boy was hurt bad.

After I got to looking, it was just mud. We sat with him a couple minutes and he acted like everything was alright. He ran over to the pond and laid in there for a bit, then managed to jump in/out of my truck. I checked his pee and poop last night for blood and he appears to be fine there. I felt him all over three times last night checking his reaction and if I could feel anything and he checked out every time. This morning he barely had a limp and really just acted like me in the morning, old and stiff!

So I ran my 90 pounds dog over with 2,400lbs and you can barely tell. If that ain't lucky, I don't know what it!

Dang you would think they would learn! So glad he is OK! When we were down last we used a trailer with an old sleeping bag in it for our lab to lay on while we trekked from one end of the property to the other. All I could think was he was stupid enough to jump out just as we were going up or down one of the big hills. Proved me wrong though and just enjoyed the ride.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yep, dogs are reactionary and doesn't really seem too be any method too their madness most of the time.... My beagles are prone too stupid stuff as well.... There are times they'll flat out boggle your mind.....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Jeff did the same thing to his Black Lab.
Glad there was no apparent harm done!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad he's OK. To train dogs not to chase cars or ATV's just attach a bright colored rag to a tire. The dog will catch it and for a flip. If you must use this over 3 times on the same dog just put it down.
This training mode was taken directly out of a Disney World dog training how to book. The 3 time thing works and if it doesn't the dog is insane and should be put down.
My son raised Dobermans when he was in College and it surely worked on a unruly male he had.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad he is ok! Like I told you yesterday, my fat ass beagle does the same crap when I get the quad out. She starts running around, barking, and nipping at the tires. One of these days she's gonna learn the hard way.

I hope you are wrong. I am glad Remi was okay. It doesn't work out this way every time. Trust me. Never cried like a baby (in my adult life) until that day. When 'your boy' comes to an end at your tire, there is a guilt which comes with it I don't wish on anyone.

Huckleberry Finn

Rolled a dog with both tires on the truck years ago. Turned around and it was dead as a pancake. Walked to the door and told the family that I killed their dog...turned around at he's walking up the driveway. Still alive today.

Glad it wasn't worse!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Rolled a dog with both tires on the truck years ago. Turned around and it was dead as a pancake. Walked to the door and told the family that I killed their dog...turned around at he's walking up the driveway. Still alive today.

Glad it wasn't worse!

At least you went to tell the people. I saw a guy hit my very first beagle. He hit her. Turned around to check her. Saw me running out to the road and he took off. This was at our old house which by a busy two lane road. Had the yard fenced in but she slipped out the front. I was pissed at myself and seriously pissed at who hit her. Not that he hit her. It was an accident. But pissed he didn't stop to tell me.
She was my first beagle pup and just ran her first rabbit two days earlier. I was tore up for a good while after that one.

Sorry to hijack, but Huck reminded me of her with his story.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Dogs are pretty resilient. I hit a dog going 30 something this winter. I had my snow blade in V form. Thing glanced right off it and only broke a nail. I seen it run off and limp. I informed the owner but they told me it only had 3 legs to begin with lol.