Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Little help needed...

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Tracie and I have made the decision to take the next step in our life and I could use a little help. It's time for a new dog! :smiley_bril:

I am having trouble finding breeders that are not 2 hours from our house. Does anyone have any good resources for finding breeders? Have a breeder to suggest? Know of any good pups for sale?

It has to be an English female yellow/cream that is as light as possible and she needs to come from hunting lines. Right now, I'm willing to go as high as $600, so that will limit my options. Any help at all would be great. I'd also welcome advice on building a kennel. I plan to build a two dog facility on a concrete pad this spring...

rrr

Jesse,

I'm sorry that I can't help you with a breeder unless you want to drive up to Western NY and possibly sit on a waiting list for a year to get a pup. That said, our breeder up there that we got our dog Molly from is one of the best breeders in the state of NY. Molly was just a house dog, never hunted, but came from hunters and had championship bloodlines. That said, something that I've sure you know/have read is that if you're getting a lab, make sure that your breeder has a 2 year hip guarantee on the dog. In fact, our breeder had a lifetime guarantee on her dogs - if you didn't want your dog she would refund you 100%, regardless of whether or not the dog had been spayed or neutered.

This is Molly, our English yellow lab. She was the runt of her litter. When my dad picked her out and even years later when the breeder saw her again, she commented on her face - a little more boxy than usual. In these pictures she is 10 or 11, she was 11 when she died, so you will see that she is pretty white around the muzzle, but she was never terribly dark.
Molly3.jpgMolly2.jpgMolly.jpg

You'll note the spot on her leg, that was an old-age sore that she had probably the last year and a half of her life, it wouldn't go away. We've never had a better dog, and won't. My dad took her through an obedience school and she was the valadictorian of the class! Smart dog and very well trained, though she didn't hunt. Our friends that babysat the dog was always impressed that she wouldn't go beyond her learned boundaries (we kept her our of certain areas by placing a curtain rod across the bottom of the door for months, then laid the rod down, and then just got rid of it all together. She would 'potty' on command, never pulled on a leash, and was just a damn good dog. Like most labs, she had a great temper and never caused a problem, several times she had babies on top of her yanking and she didn't even look at them. We had her for 11 years and the day we put her down, a few months after she had a stroke and then went downhill fast, I bawled like a little girl and I still miss the dog.

Good choice man, English yellows are beautiful. You're going to make Remmy miss his nuts even more once you bring a hottie girl in though!

Steve

Matt

Norton, OH
Jesse, there is a kennel up here that I know has a large pedigree of hunting dogs, excellent that I am aware of. I know its far, but if you can't find anything else and it interests you, I can get you some more info. Not 100% sure they do yellows, but they have chocolates so I am assuming yellows are there too.

Diablo54

Outside
our yellow lab is fat and lazy...She walks in the house and goes to sleep and she hates everyone unless your the one feeding her. She's a pretty good dog shes never excited and never bugs you unless she's snoring. Dozer my choc lab is a different story. Good luck on the quest sorry I cant help.

rrr

I haven't google searched yet, but if you don't mind a road trip (and what's a day of driving for a dog and best friend you'll have for 10+ years?)

Fieldstone Kennel
Ontario NY
Jean Fuehrer

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Here, I pictured Jesse more along the lines of a toy poodle kinda guy. :smiley_coolpeace:

Ha! You would!!! :smiley_blackeye:

I'm a lab and rott kinda guy. I'm a huge fan of dob's as well. We had one from AKA Champion lines when I was a kid. He died when I was 7 I think. That was one hell of a dog. Great with kids, intimidating as hell to people he didn't know, and deadly to animal intruders. We went on vacation when I was 5 or 6 and returned to find three dead dogs, a broken logging chain, and a pretty beat up dob. He survived with minimal scaring. We also had a half rott, half lab when I was in high school and college. He went roughly 130 pounds, but was the biggest baby you've ever seen. Smart as hell too. Sure miss both those dogs...