Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Vinyl Deck

Buckmaster

Portage
Have any of you built a vinyl deck since they are becoming more popular?
I realize they are more expensive than wood but I'm into zero maintenance stuff recently.

Do you like your deck?

I don't have one yet.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have built a few out of and they have no real downside unless y ou want a different color later. The are also expensive.

I have used Trex and another I think it was called Azec. Preferred the Trex.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I just built mine 2 summers ago with the composite stuff...I will try to get some pics soon to post up.

Overall...I love it...it does get hot in the summer time though, I would say hotter than a wood deck...doesn't scratch up too easily, even with the kids banging stuff around on it quite often.

I went to Home Depot and used their design desk with the dimensions I got from my house, they generated the bill of materials and we had them deliver it..piece of cake.

We might have used the Trex also, don't remember if it was a 30 year no-fade warranty or not, but something along those lines.

other than that, it was pretty easy to install all the composite stuff, time consuming, but easy.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I built my composite deck about 5 yrs. ago. I recommend pre-drilling the end of the board screw holes as some cracked out later. Never again will I have a wood deck. Use stainless screws so you don't have a rust problem.
My son put his composite deck on about 8 yrs. ago and still in great shape. His covered front porch composite floor looks like it was installed yesterday after 8 yrs.

Buckmaster

Portage
My comparison so far. 14' x 14' with rails, and two stairways.

Wood- $ 2100.00-$ 2200.00
Vinyl- $ 4800.00-$ 5300.00

That's installed estimates by a contractor.

I have helped install a Trex deck
With the right screws it is easy to install

OH Also
Trex and the other composit deck boards also make great Keels for duck and goose decoys
So if you know of a person that makes his own decoys
The scraps can be used

I have to look around myself for some scraps
As I plan on making a few dozen super mag duck decoys this summer

John

Jamie

Ohio
when you add up the maintenance costs for a wooden deck for the next 10 years, you break even. I don't build them, aside from my own, but deck maintenance is part of what I do for a living. you could reasonably expect to pay a professional $3000 or more in 10 years to keep it up properly(wash and stain/seal it about every three years). nobody hardly ever takes proper care of their wooden deck because doing the work sucks dick and it isn't cheap to hire it done. composite decking is the only way to go if you can afford it. paver patio better still.

composite decking does fade over time if it is exposed, i.e., not under roof. 30 year warranty is at best unrealistic, at worst an outright lie. the decking on my dock is Trex, and after less than 10 years it has lost half its color or more, but it gets full sun pretty much daylight to dark. now they sell stain specifically made for composite decking.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree my gray colored deck has faded some. It's on the south side so get sun and weather all year.
But's better than rotten wood a few years down the road. And as said no maintenance. To me it's a good investment.

The scrapes also makes good no sink boards under ladder stand legs.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
My comparison so far. 14' x 14' with rails, and two stairways.

Wood- $ 2100.00-$ 2200.00
Vinyl- $ 4800.00-$ 5300.00

That's installed estimates by a contractor.

Dont pay someone, its too easy to do by yourself. I did mine (wood) 20x22 by myself. It was my first real project I ever did.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
It took me all of spring and half the summer to build mine. Many a beer has been drank on that thing. I think one day, my buddy and I decided to peel the labels off our bud light bottles and see how many boards we could fill up with stickers. lol

Buckmaster

Portage

Buckmaster

Portage
Check!

One project is off my list. I took Buckster's advice and ponied up for the good stuff.

I ended up buying the Paldeck PCV decking and Westbury Aluminum railing.

About $9k later I have a zero maintenance 30 year deck. While everyone else is annually staining their decks and railings I'll be enjoying life.

Onward with my metal building project (shop & garage) then a 2015 patio and sidewalk installation in between my deck and the metal building.

Attachments

• Deck 1.jpg
    Deck 1.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Deck 2.jpg
    Deck 2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Deck 3.jpg
    Deck 3.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Deck.jpg
    Deck.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 217

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Check!

One project is off my list. I took Buckster's advice and ponied up for the good stuff.

I ended up buying the Paldeck PCV decking and Westbury Aluminum railing.

About $9k later I have a zero maintenance 30 year deck. While everyone else is annually staining their decks and railings I'll be enjoying life.
Onward with my metal building project (shop & garage) then a 2015 patio and sidewalk installation in between my deck and the metal building.

Looks Great! This is the exact payoff I am enjoying right now TOO!