Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote dens

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have found them in hillsides and in the root balls of big trees that have fallen. I'd love to find the one at our place and napalm it!

The 2 I found were both old Ground Hog dens

1 was on a hill side , with pine root system over it
The 2 was again on a slight slope
But under a old piece of farm equipment

I will admit the first den site
I only found it because I saw a coyote heading to the spot with a young ground hog

John

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
You would be supprised at how small a hole they can fit into. I watched one cross a field on fresh snow and followed the tracks to a hole that looked like a ground hog hole.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They are hard to find. Everyone I have found has been by pure luck. They will live in a hollow tree, fallen or standing. They dig holes in sidehills, or along waterways... I have one under construction I will be checking back on shortly that is along a waterway. There isn't a tree within 3/4 of a mile. I have found no rhyme or reason as to why they put them where they do.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They like to use woodchuck holes a lot of times. I had one come out of the ground right beside me a couple years ago... A tiny hole at the base of a tree. Scared the bajesus out of me. The hole was so small, I would have never believed it was a coyote den if I didn't actually see it come out of there.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Somewhere I have a pic of a pup I shot off the top of a den hole. The hole itself was about the size of a pepper plate. Was literally in the small section of grass between two fields. One in beans the other in corn not a tree or bush around for 500 yards.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Found an old groundhog hole they had taken over that was on the hillside just inside the woods. I was surprised they got into such a small hole. They could see a good distance from that hillside down into the bottom and out into an old pasture.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
ive never found a yote den. but theres a grey fox den acrossed from my house in the creek, it goes back under a bunch of roots. i sit out in the yard and watch the fox pups every year. they will let me get about 10 feet away dart in a hole then pop out of another hole like there playing a game.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There is a red fox den across the road from my FIL's home. It is straight out the front window and easily seen. We spend a lot of Sunday afternoons watching them run in and out.

Jesse, I don't think there is any laws protecting them. I certainly wouldn't bother asking the local WO.

2 other things that work well on both ground hog and coyote dens

Old flares and regular gas ( also charecoal started fulid)

It is a old farmers way of dealing with ground hogs
Find a den
Dig up a chunk of sod for each hole
Use a old charecoal starter fluid bottle the squirt 1/4 cup or so of gas into each hole
Wait a min. and then throw a burning match into 1 of the holes
DO NOT STAND IN FRONT of any one of the holes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The gas vapors ignite and flames shoot out of all the holes
Quickly put the sod chunks over the holes
Any thing in the den is now dead from the flames and all the oxegon is also gone
The sod keeps Oxegen out of the den

Simple with flares also
Plug up all but the main hole
Toss in 2 lit 30 min flares
Plug the main hole

Flares use up the Oxegon and give off some toxic gasses that the sod holds in the den

John

Reading Johnch's post it reminds me of something my uncle down there in Ohio once explained to me. Years ago I was down for a family reunion and decided that I would do a little ground hog hunting to help my uncle out. Sure enough, there was a great big one near the old garden that I leveled the sights on. Well, I used my dad's 7mm Mauser to do the job and let's just say that it made a mess. Thinking my uncle would be grateful for what I did I was excited to tell him all about it. He led into explaining how a ground hog should be thought of more than just a nuisance. Back when they were in the depression he could remember many times heading out into the field in hopes of shooting one just so they could have dinner. They came to cherish the ground hog and even though they were at hard times they also made sure they never over hunted them so they always had something they could go after if need be. Looking at the ground hog after I had shot it he was very disappointed in that there wasn't much left. I was told to take it down to the dogs and give it to them so at least they can appreciate what it had to offer. I never, ever look at ground hogs the same way now.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I would eat one but its the cleaning part that would get me. All the old timers say its awesome. Like everything else they say the younger the better.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I ate it one time. It was good. I had killed it with a baseball bat and gave it to our neighbor who was an adventurous bachelor. He bbq'd it and put it on the grill. I enjoyed it until I saw its feet still nailed to a tree...