Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Catching a trap thief 101....with kaiser878

Kaiser878

ohio
JAs I told u guys before I had another trap come up missing at our lease. So.....I figured I would go black ops on the sum birches...I burried two cams in two different banks. Only thing showing was lens and sensor. I covered up IR bulbs, since I figured it was happening in daylight. I also set out some objects that a thief might like to steal. Like flashlights and coins.

I told my buddy last week that since Saturday was supposed to.be nice I bet we would catch them. Sure enough..... he came strolling through and took the bait. He also had dug up my cable stakes. And u can see them in his hand.....

And then they happened to walk by the other camera. notice the flashlight in his hand

Through a little digging I found out who he was...He lives in the house we assumed the thief was residing...Now I am methodically planning my approach. THere is another setup in place for him...This one would earn him a wildlife violation and some hefty fines....so stay tuned

Last edited:
Reactions: Left field

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you should put a copper trap tag on there with "Not Yours" written on it

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
sorry to hear your gear has been getting ripped off...that feeling sucks big time...glad to hear you got him on cam...sad part is, that d-bag brought someone else with him...gf or wife or sibling??? Looks like they set out to steal something for sure...whether it was something in the trap or the trap itself...

Can't wait to hear how you proceed...seems like this dude is like clockwork and you've been patient with it this far!

Kaiser878

ohio
I belive its his sister. I'm in no rush. I'm not trapping rt now and I have time to burn. Ha the.more the merrier. Haha get him to steal $500 bucks worth and its a felony. Ha

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
At first glance, I thought it looked a little like Mrs. 878 too Chad! I was waiting for a fat guy on a four-wheeler to show up AFTER the picture of Zach and the Mrs checking the cam! lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice work! Always good to catch a thief in the act. I assume you can get him for trespassing too?