Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Roast

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Mine is real simple but mighty tasty." IMO. Crock pot for about 12 hours.

Put roast in and fill with water till level is covering about 90% of the roast. Smear beef baste on top of the roast. Towards the end peel roast apart with 2 forks till it is shredded (should be just falling apart). I usually add cut up potatoes for the last 60-90 min.

I enjoy mine as sandwiches on fresh bakery kaiser rolls with some hot sauce.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
That sounds excellent huntn2! Gonna have to try that one.

I've used a small cut of meat from the hind quarter, throw it in the crock pot with a couple cans of beef consume', a bay leaf or 2 and a little thyme...grill up some onions and get the cheese out with a toasted hogie bun for a sandwich...kinda like a french dip sandwich, but more like a steak and cheese or philly cheesesteak depending on what kind of cheese you like!

Or, in the crock pot, you can add carrots, celery and potatoes and it makes a delicious pot roast. I some times shred the meat in the crock pot and will spoon meat and veggies onto some toasted texas toast for an open face sandwich!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
My wife makes them in the crock pot pretty much the way described above and they are good. I'll have to try the beef broth next time, that sounds good.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dustin, the only thing I would suggest differently would be too replace the water used in the crock pot and use apple cider instead..... You'll be very happy with the results.... Plus the house will smell really good when it's done lol....

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Dustin, the only thing I would suggest differently would be too replace the water used in the crock pot and use apple cider instead..... You'll be very happy with the results.... Plus the house will smell really good when it's done lol....

Apple Cider? I have never heard of that. Most of the posts in here have ingredients that I was already aware of, but never heard of Apple Cider.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I layer the bottom of my crock pot with red taters, carrots, onion. The liquid I use consists of water, beef broth, and apple cider vinegar along with my preferred seasonings. Then I dry rub the roast with a mixture of salt, pepper, granulated garlic, ground red pepper, paprika, and ground mustard. Then I sear it on all sides (2-3 minutes in a hot pan over medium heat) then sit it on top of the vegetables. We love garlic, so I take a small paring knife and stuff 3-4 roasted garlic gloves (Krogers has this on the olive bar) then add 6-8 more in with the liquid. The garlic will essentially melt away as it cooks! Set on high for 4 hours, low for 2-4 more depending on the size of the roast. Beef roasts I do on high for 6 hours.

Serve with sour cream on the taters, hot bread and get ready for bed when you're done eating!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Apple Cider? I have never heard of that. Most of the posts in here have ingredients that I was already aware of, but never heard of Apple Cider.

Apple cider helps break down tougher meat and puts a flavor that is surprisingly good.... Very tender and great flavor.... Good meal.... I've had people who say hey hate deer meat and the cider has changed their minds....

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I'm definitely planning on using the apple cider. I have 4 different roasts that are frozen. All from the same deer. I think Im going to go big and do all 4. I'm also thinking about adding some hot Italian sausage (No, not that kind) in the mix. Ill be sure TOO update with pictures as I go along. Throwing in some taters, carrots and onions. Possibly some garlic.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Deer roast.jpg

And away we go. Deer roast, hot sausage, carrots, onions, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Apple cider, and beef consume.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Right now it smells like Maple Bacon. The wife is cooking country breakfast. :) Im starting to get the hint of apple tho.