Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cheap reliable car

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
My gf's motor blew in her car (pos Saturn ion) with only 60k on it. They quoted her for $2500 for a motor with 121k on it. So they're gonna scrap the peice of junk and look for a new car for her. What should we look for car wise. The price range is Probly under 5k. I've been looking at subarus and Toyota cars. What do you guy recommend as far as reliability. I like the vw's also. Thanks for the help though guys!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Don't overlook Honda Civics either. I'm still driving my wife's 2001 civic hx and it's got 23rd miles on it. Other than tires and brakes, we've only had 20 in repairs in over 8 years and 10 miles. Still gets 38 miles to a gallon as well! I'm gonna run her til she dies, the. Try and find anorher!

Huckleberry Finn

If you get a Subaru over 100k (or near there), make sure that the timing belt has been replaced.

Other than that, I've put 38,000 miles on mine in about a year and a half. Got it with 114 and now at 151. Other than tires and front brake pads, I've done nothing to it other than change the oil. The AWD is great - if it sat higher off the ground, you could take it anywhere. The 2.5 Boxer is a hell of an engine and since most of them are manual, you really have good control over them. I get 27 mpg in town and do 34 on the highways. (I'm literally driving the car for free vs. what I'd be paying in gas alone in a truck)

For what it's worth, Consumer Reports and the like rate Subaru's extremely well for reliability and safety.

I'll probably always own one now....even the new ones are very well priced compared to the Toyota's and Honda's and beat the piss out of the anything "Detroit" makes. And gets 10 mpg better than the CRVs. Plenty of room with the seats folded down and then there are always the roof racks. There is a reason that Subaru sales were up 23% in 2013. Yes, they get stereotyped as gay and yuppy..

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I really am liking the subarus Huck. I knew you'd have good to say about them lol. For her being a bad driver (woman) I think the awd would be the way to go almost. Especially after this winter and her getting stuck numerous times. The timing belt thing scares me though.

Huckleberry Finn

I really am liking the subarus Huck. I knew you'd have good to say about them lol. For her being a bad driver (woman) I think the awd would be the way to go almost. Especially after this winter and her getting stuck numerous times. The timing belt thing scares me though.

Mine was replaced during my purchase. All the mechanics I have talked to say that you can drive them north of 250k, you just have to do the belt at 100k.

Mine is an Impreza Sport, it's not even an Outback. The Forrestors do real well. And the old-style Outbacks. And then if you are looking at a 4 door, then it's the Legacy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My brother has a Forrester. He likes it as well. Impressive miles per gallon for something a bit bigger than the civics and smaller compact cars. More impressive when you figure in the AWD. Not sure if you will find one sub $5000. Never shopped for one. In the price range quotes I would think a small Honda or Toyota would be my choice over the VW. I am a VW fan, but have heard too many horror stories of mega repair bills.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Yeah that's the thing on vw is it's hard and expensive to repair them my brother is real good friends with a guy that has a German car shop in town here though.

epe

Lancaster
Drove my Honda accord to 280k + until it got stolen. You have to worry about timing belts on Hondas and vw's. Have owned both. Zero tolerance motors.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Couple possibilities..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395147792.890688.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395147809.251842.jpg

Little out of price range. But seems like a decent ride

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wouldn't be afraid of a rebuilt title vehicle (such as the last one). Just realize, you need to pull some off the value.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I agree Phil. My truck has a rebuilt title. Just know what you're buying.

My Z71 has a rebuilt title and I've put over a 140K on it since I've bought it..... The rule o thumb used too be you knock 25 to 30% off book price on a salvage title.... Lots of negotiation on those vehicles most of the time....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is by the best out of the bunch. The sticker on my 05 with 114k was $6900. That's a good deal and a great car.

There ya go. Nice comparison. 20-30% under Huck's ride. Might even talk them a bit lower. My Element I bought wrecked an put it together. Only advice I have is go over it with a fine tooth comb and then expect to miss a thing or two here and there. Check motor/trans mounts. These cars aren't built like they used to be. Mine had light damage. After getting into it I ended up replacing some motor mounts as well. If there are any extra rattles, shakes, vibrations going down the road you better check it over again. Have someone drive it and follow it in a vehicle to see how it tracks going down the road as well.