Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food plots

ohio
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I'm planning on some food plots this year, got stuff for spring plots but with the weather we had I missed my target bucks simply because the food sources weren't there, so I guess my questions are, 1. Are spring plots and mineral sites effective and what should be effective for fall and when to plant? South of Dayton area's

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
New to food plots but I believe from reading the other experienced food plot planters on TOO that spring food plots are a waste of time and money. The spring green up is going on in nature so there's plenty of green plants for the deer.
Now spring mineral sites is useful to deer.
That's my take on the subject. Thoughts anyone?

Gordo

Athens County
New to food plots but I believe from reading the other experienced food plot planters on TOO that spring food plots are a waste of time and money. The spring green up is going on in nature so there's plenty of green plants for the deer.
Now spring mineral sites is useful to deer.
That's my take on the subject. Thoughts anyone?

From what i have read/heard, your spot on.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I wholeheartedly believe mineral supplementation is something that benefits the local deer herd in a positive manner. Just be sure to supply them with something that will positively impact their health.

As for spring plots, I have never fooled with them as there is no real need for supplemental food in the spring in my area. With crops and spring green up, deer have more to eat than they can possibly consume. Spring plots are expensive due to required spraying of herbicides and labor intensive due to the need to mow (in some cases). Fall plots are the better option in most cases IMO. I plant a mix of cereal grains, legumes, and hearty tubers at our farm and it has proven to be a highly effective strategy.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I plan on making a DIY mineral site on my hunting property. For the size and cost of it you can't beat it. I found this online. Seems easy. Call the local feed store and they have it all.
. image.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I wholeheartedly believe mineral supplementation is something that benefits the local deer herd in a positive manner. Just be sure to supply them with something that will positively impact their health.

As for spring plots, I have never fooled with them as there is no real need for supplemental food in the spring in my area. With crops and spring green up, deer have more to eat than they can possibly consume. Spring plots are expensive due to required spraying of herbicides and labor intensive due to the need to mow (in some cases). Fall plots are the better option in most cases IMO. I plant a mix of cereal grains, legumes, and hearty tubers at our farm and it has proven to be a highly effective strategy.

This is sound advice for all newbies. I screw with spring plots a lot because I like to screw with something other than myself at times! hahaha

Overall J nailed it. Fall plots, and good spring mineral licks. I know no one can prove that mineral licks benefit deer herd in a wild environment, but since I have been doing plots, feeding, and mineral licks. I have seen better quality bucks and more of them.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I plan on making a DIY mineral site on my hunting property. For the size and cost of it you can't beat it. I found this online. Seems easy. Call the local feed store and they have it all.
.View attachment 20295

Just be advised the cost will be about 3 times what they have posted there. The cost on all those ingredients is sky high these days. Also, all 200 pounds at once is overkill. Use 50 to start a new site and then replenish the first year every 2-3 rains with 25 pounds. After that, use 25 to start it every year and maintain with 25 every 2-3 months from March-September. More is not always better.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Just be advised the cost will be about 3 times what they have posted there. The cost on all those ingredients is sky high these days. Also, all 200 pounds at once is overkill. Use 50 to start a new site and then replenish the first year every 2-3 rains with 25 pounds. After that, use 25 to start it every year and maintain with 25 every 2-3 months from March-September. More is not always better.

Yea I agree. 200lbs is a lot. I wasn't planning on doing the full amount. That's just what I found online. An yes the prices are not as they noted, called the local feed place and they are higher. But for the size of it it will still be cheaper that buying mineral rocks at outdoor stores.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

You beat me to it. I think the last time I stocked up it cost me over 70 bucks for 200 pounds. I'd have mineral sites coming out of my ears if it could be done for $23. Lol

While I understand the argument of deer having food during spring green up, I respectfully disagree with spring food plots being a waste of time. I guess it depends on your hunting strategies and goals. If you just want a kill plot and supplementation for fall hunting, then maybe spring plots aren't for you. I plant three plots in various locations for continued feeding and protein boost for antler growth, here health and fawning. The deer graze these plots all year long and feel comfortable to feed, bring fawns and eventually chase does in. That way there is no equipment or human intrusion any time close to hunting season. I overseed the plots with brassicas in those clover/ chicory plots in early August before a rain and it kicks up by hunting season for late season attractant. Always works pretty well for me. Just my humble opinion.