Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn stove update

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got what's probably the last load of corn this week.
I bought 3960 lbs. for the year at average cost of .087 cents per lb. for a total cost of 344.52.
I would have to say pretty damn good heat cost for a 2700 sq. ft. house.
I can only burn the corn stove 12 hrs. at night now as it gets too hot during the day.
There was some backup propane cost due to the extra cold winter we had. I started the winter with about 37% fill in the propane tank and still have 22%. But we have hot water propane heater.
What the wife thought was a poor 1800.00 investment turned out for the good after 14 winters of corn heat.

My son's cost is about 2.5 times of my cost. But he's heating 3200 sq. ft. and keeps it a lot warmer due to the kids. His lose not mine. But his cost of about 700.00 for that large of a house is unbelievable. He has no backup furnace as he hasn't bothered to fix it after 15 yrs. He did use couple small electric ceramic heaters for area heat but his electric bill is about the same as mine using a water tank heater for the cattle.

I do have to be honest and report the wood pellets cost I use. One 40 lb. bag last me 2 yrs. as I only use 1/2 cup to start the corn burning each time. I have to pick up another bag this week.
The TSC counter lady always questions me when I buy only one bag. I tell her I have a very energy efficient house and one bag last me 2 yrs. to heat my house. But I do tell her I only use the pellets to start my corn stove.

Last edited: