Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goodbye Shotgun Plugs?

Huckleberry Finn

The amended proposal states that shotguns and pistol cartridge rifles used for white-tailed deer hunting be loaded with no more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. The current hunting regulation states a shotgun must be plugged if it is capable of holding more than three shells. The initial proposal required a magazine plug or inert ammunition to limit capacity for pistol cartridge rifles.

http://www2.ohiodnr.gov/news/post/ohio-deer-hunting-regulations-proposals-amended

--

I read that as saying that we no longer need a plug...just cannot load more than 3 shells.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm reading it somewhat different. I read a plug or inert rounds for pistol caliber rifles. Nothing new about shotgun. or am I missing something?

Huckleberry Finn

I'm reading it somewhat different. I read a plug or inert rounds for pistol caliber rifles. Nothing new about shotgun. or am I missing something?

It's like going to the eye doctor's office, cover one eye...

The new rule would be say that "Shotguns and pistol cartridge rifles used for white-tailed deer hunting be loaded with no more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined." (and nothing else).

--

At most, it's a poorly written press release.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The reason I have read elsewhere is that for most common shotguns when the 3 round limit was enacted plugs were a standard item (the Savage 220 and others like it weren't around yet). However most of the rifles chambered in those pistol calibers they are thinking are lever actions. Some of them evidently take some serious gunsmithing to limit the rounds down to 3. That is why for the pistol caliber rifles we will be allowed to use inert (dummy) rounds.

But as to what calibers, and how to plug the guns....I'm with MK111 lets wait till the dust clears.

Huckleberry Finn

No, you are correct huck misread it.

I'm not so sure...My textual reading would mean no plugs. And it would actually make sense for ODNR:

No plugs = fair playing field for PCR's since it's hard to get a plug for a level action (aside from dummy rounds)
No plugs = great temptation for more shells = more fines = more $$$
No plugs = More lead thrown at the deer herd they are trying to eliminate.

I'd like to think that I'm not going crazy, but it makes sense to me...

Huckleberry Finn

I know that NY had no shell limit. I don't think that Indiana does either...

So if this really is a change, it would reduce a rules which is required for new regulations, but also bring in more money for ODNR while scratching the backs of those who want more deer killed (none will die on slug #4, but I digress).

It really does make sense...

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I know that NY had no shell limit. I don't think that Indiana does either...

So if this really is a change, it would reduce a rules which is required for new regulations, but also bring in more money for ODNR while scratching the backs of those who want more deer killed (none will die on slug #4, but I digress).

It really does make sense...

On a slight thread deviation from topic....my half rack was actually killed on slug #4, I missed with shots 1-3 as he trotted towards me. He continued on past me and happened to stop with his head behind a tree (couldn't see me) at about 50 yards from me. Pulled one of the extra slugs that were loose in my pocket out (from the box of 5) out and chambered it as quickly and quietly as I could. Put it right behind his shoulder and through his lungs. My brother watched the whole thing and couldn't shoot when he stopped b/c he was looking at him.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
the only reason why the 3 round limit was in inacted for deer season was because upland bird hunters were trying to get away with having more than 3 shells during deer season. or at least that's what my grandfather told me.

That may be part of it, but I think the main reason we went to plugged guns was for safety. Those 4th and 5th shots at running deer are incredibly dangerous. People lose track of where their hunting buddies are when they're flinging that much lead around.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
the only reason why the 3 round limit was in inacted for deer season was because upland bird hunters were trying to get away with having more than 3 shells during deer season. or at least that's what my grandfather told me.

No there was a fatality that occurred to someone whose family had enough clout to get the law changed.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The plug rule came after a kid was killed in Columbiana county when a bunch of shots were fired. I'd guess it was about 15 years ago.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The plug rule came after a kid was killed in Columbiana county when a bunch of shots were fired. I'd guess it was about 15 years ago.

Sam you are making me feel old. I will go check my half rack as it has the date on it and it was the first year of the 3 shot rule. 1999 was the year I shot it so must have been 1998...wow 15 years ago...I'm getting old.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't agree with the dummy round rule. Mostly because it's a cop out. So what if they're too hard to plug. Buy one that isn't. They've mandated it for shotguns for a long time. Allowing what should be a rule violation simply because it's difficult is no way to write laws. PCRs should be no different. It's like saying you can build your own street legal vehicle but adding tail light is hard, so just disregard the taillight law and use a flashlight when you stop.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I don't agree with the dummy round rule. Mostly because it's a cop out. So what if they're too hard to plug. Buy one that isn't. They've mandated it for shotguns for a long time. Allowing what should be a rule violation simply because it's difficult is no way to write laws. PCRs should be no different. It's like saying you can build your own street legal vehicle but adding tail light is hard, so just disregard the taillight law and use a flashlight when you stop.
Joe in the original proposals that BFA wrote up we agreed with your logic. I am not sure where it got changed.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe in the original proposals that BFA wrote up we agreed with your logic. I am not sure where it got changed.

It got changed because the DNRs hunter participation and subsequent revenue is sucking hind tit. They need to increase opportunity. That's the only way they can continue to kill to their lower population goal and try to maintain revenue. Population reduction moves forward. Revenue maintains. Insurance and farm bureau happy. Hunters get hoodwinked into believing the increased opportunity is a favor and a good thing. Shooting ourself in the foot again and asking for seconds.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Sam you are making me feel old. I will go check my half rack as it has the date on it and it was the first year of the 3 shot rule. 1999 was the year I shot it so must have been 1998...wow 15 years ago...I'm getting old.

You are old :smiley_coolpeace: I really just guessed. The same year they increased how much orange you had to wear too.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I dug my Marlin 45-70 rifle out pending the law change. I'll take couple cases and drill a hole through the case at the base and load some bullets for my dummies. Looks like a fun year coming up.
The reason I'm drilling a hole in the case so I can feel the hole in the dark when loading up. The last thing I want to do is be a dummy and load a dummy round in the chamber. LOL