Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This just pisses me off

Huckleberry Finn

One of my good friend's lived close to school and it was well known that their dad would glad let you drop your gun off on the way to school and you could pick it up at the end of the day and not have to detour home during gun season.

During FFA week on Carhartt day, the science teacher always had a good time making those of us wearing bibs stand up and empty all of our pockets on the table. Shotgun shells, pocket knives, lighters, chew, etc...he just did it for kicks and giggles to make us nervous.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Pure Insanity at its finest.
We all carried pocket knives back when I was in high school and Jr. high and even elementary school.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's just beyond comprehension. Surely these so called administrators know who this kid is & what great strides & accomplishments he's preformed & yet they're out to crucify him. Years ago, my stepson faced a somewhat similar experince while at school where a teacher patrolling the parking lot saw his tackle box in the back seat of his car. He got called to open it & sure enough, a fishing knife was inside. Anyway, why these adults can't see things for what they are & just leave things be is just unFUCKING believable. Yeah, I'm still pissed about it & my heart goes out to all that get caught up in this nonsense.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My son carried his Mossberg 500 shotgun broken down into 2 pcs. in his gym bag everyday to school on the bus. He went hunting after school with his buddy. That was back in the mid 1980's. But he was smart enough not to show it off or tell anyone. I always thought his shotgun was at his buddies house.
Of course I didn't know this until 10-15 yrs. later when the kids are telling stories at Christmas time.
Today if caught we would be both in jail.

Totaly wrong , IMO what they did to him

Shoot ,when I was in Highschool , a small pocket knife was in ....at least 1/3 of the boys pockets ( 1983)
And if a teacher needed to cut something , they would just ask to use one of our knives
No big deal

I had a Case ...Trapper I think
Dad gave it to me

I was told a fingernail file will get you supended these days

John

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I suppose it is "possible" there is more to the case than what we read in the article. Maybe the kid is a loud mouth and antagonized the situation. Who knows? What I feel is quite obvious is this kid isn't one of the kids who should be getting screwed over. There are lots of kids with pocket knives. Boy Scouts? Those in the military prior to graduation? Junior police officers or junior fire fighters? These aren't the kids who should be made examples. There are plenty of deadbeat delinquents out there who skate while this kid is being shredded of future public service jobs or actually many non public service jobs. A felony is a far cry from a traffic ticket. He is screwed. Hopefully his jury trial will show our justice system at work in a positive manner.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
this is total crap, if there were more kids like him schools would be a better place,i graduated in2005 i remeber having my shotguns in my gun rack at school. they never said a word. i had a knife in my pocket the principal seen it and asked me to come into his office when i went in there he asked for it and i gave it to him he told me to pick it up at the end of the day and that was it. hell half the teachers let you chew as long as you werent spitting on the floor.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Like Phil said, there is always more to the story. However from what I have gathered, this seems to be a case of PC paranoia. IMO our school systems are a HUGE issue facing the future of this country right now. The good kids, the kids from middle of the road households, are getting railroaded into this "standardized sentient being" and it is ALL government mandated. It has changed so much in the 13 years I have been out. We carried knives and no one ever said a word about it. I knew plenty of people that had guns/bows in their vehicles during hunting season. It was a different time and it was just a short while ago. This kid is one in a long line of good people that will be persecuted by the system...

As for dip, everyone was doing. As long as you didn't flaunt it, there were only a few teachers who would say anything to you. Generally the old, menopausal hags...

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I'm sure there's more to the story, but at the same time it seems extremely overboard. Welcome to the police state that we now live in comrades.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm sure there's more to the story, but at the same time it seems extremely overboard. Welcome to the police state that we now live in comrades.

I am afraid you are correct. This is where we are going. Same as Jesse said, it is the new norm basically. The schools have zero tolerance policies for this stuff. My neighbor's kid got busted for a gun in his truck. He was squirrel hunting the night before and forgot to take it out of his truck. Naturally, he was being a dumb high school kid and talked about it midday when he remembered it being in there. Next thing you know he is busted. They didn't press charges but he did a ton of extra grounds work at the school (vocational school) and had some other consequences in lieu of expulsion. Ended up working out pretty good. He is now the first full time employed student the school has hired. He is a good kid. He did a dumb thing. In his situation, he paid the penalty and was later rewarded for his hard work with a job. This is unheard of in today's world. Glad it worked for the neighbor kid, but a darn shame the kid in this article is being railroaded.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Political Correctness Zero Tolerance COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
TOO bad this wasn't on CNN or something. I bet there would be all sorts of pressure on the school. Unfortunately in this day & age, this shit will continue to happen. As Mike would attest, teachers & administrators in this day & age too, are walking on pins & needles, never knowing who might go off. So, while I try to look at this in that perspective, I still have to think that they knew who this kid was & what examples he led, so there should have been some better judgment. Remember when postal workers would go off on one another ? I shudder to think what lies down the road.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Damn. I remember my Ag teacher coming out to the parking lot during lunch to check out my bow that I used after school to hunt with. Then he admired my Remington .22 cat killer I had in there. I even bragged about how many it took. He even dipped at FFA meetings with most of us