Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Why work for a living

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Not quit sure what the chart shows? If you make less than the amount shown you qualify for welfare? Confused.
Well always somewhat confused but just more so here. LOL

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not quit sure what the chart shows? If you make less than the amount shown you qualify for welfare? Confused.

Frank, that's a table that shows the ranking on what is paid in benefits too those collecting welfare.......

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

What he said. It's the possible income equivalen if someone who didn't work applied for every welfare benefit the qualify for.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
And it's not only the benefit amount that's the problem. You can't get someone making 30 grand a year on welfare benefits doing nothing and offer them a job for 42. They won't take it. The way they see it they're only getting 12 grand a year. They aren't going to show up an put in a 40 hour week for 250 bucks when they could sit on their ass. The job to them is only worth an extra 12 grand a year. So where does the "worth it" line get drawn to get them to work. Double? So 60 grand? A welfare recipients not going to qualify for a 60 grand a year job. The major problem with welfare is they can live comfortably. And any job they qualify for doesn't pay enough to make the work worth it. The system is designed to keep them dependent by the human nature of laziness.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I believe for every quarter you're on it your benefits reduce by 15% and lower down to a minimum that will make it wort getting a job....

With all the folks out there on assistance there shouldn't of been a snowflake on any piece of pavement in the state of Ohio....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I believe for every quarter you're on it your benefits reduce by 15% and lower down to a minimum that will make it wort getting a job....

With all the folks out there on assistance there shouldn't of been a snowflake on any piece of pavement in the state of Ohio....

Unless you spit out kids or fake a disability which is easy to do. There are ways to keep the benefits rolling in. And they know all of them.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
And it's not only the benefit amount that's the problem. You can't get someone making 30 grand a year on welfare benefits doing nothing and offer them a job for 42. They won't take it. The way they see it they're only getting 12 grand a year. They aren't going to show up an put in a 40 hour week for 250 bucks when they could sit on their ass. The job to them is only worth an extra 12 grand a year. So where does the "worth it" line get drawn to get them to work. Double? So 60 grand? A welfare recipients not going to qualify for a 60 grand a year job. The major problem with welfare is they can live comfortably. And any job they qualify for doesn't pay enough to make the work worth it. The system is designed to keep them dependent by the human nature of laziness.

Sadly, many of them do work. They work for cash or haul scrap or sell firewood or plow snow or mow lawns. Many are able bodied and willing to work. Unfortunately they will only work for cash. Couldn't tell you how many guys I have interviewed and they tell me they aren't interested after I tell them how our pay structure works. Many think they are going to work for cash. Start talking W2/W4 and bi-weekly pay. . . .they gone.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

Very true. I would have to hire/schedule Marion restaurant employees around what $ amount the start to loose benefits.

Had many that I had on track for $40k a year positions in 6 months and they passed. Training wage was $26k. When pushed it was because they didn't want to loose benefits. They stayed making $8.50 an hour...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good point Beentown. You would be amazed at the number of people who want to work fewer hours after getting a raise. Throw them a quarter or 50 cents per hour and suddenly they go from working 35-40hrs/week to 30-35hrs/wk. Maybe I am not very good at math, but I didn't realize a quarter an hour raise was enough to reduce hours by 4-5hrs a week. These are the same people who complain if they don't get a raise or constantly complain about the rich running the country. They complain about no healthcare, no money, expect payroll advances, yet many of them complain about Obama. I don't think they realize people like our President are the reason they are getting by not working or working as little as possible.