Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Silencer bill passes Committe in Ohio

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You are talking noise suppressor/silencers. I would think the flash suppressor on an AR is legal?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I looked for it but not too hard. I'm inclined to side with you as varmint control hunting isn't controlled. But it's anyone guess how the State looks at it.

Ohio law is written in a way that anything not specifically regulated against remains legal. For example: There is nothing in the ORC that states that open carry of a firearm is illegal. Therefore Open carry IS legal in Ohio.

The hunting regulations are slightly different, for example they specify only what allowable hunting equipment can be used for the different species. Suppressors are not listed in those for any species.

Also and finally, why would they be putting the effort into this bill if it was already legal?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Just wondering if they even make suppressors for shotguns or the pistol cartridge rifles, I didn't think they did. I only deer hunt with a bow and smoke pole anyway so I could care less. A suppressed muzzleloader would be hilarious though Lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I knew what you meant Chad. I am not knowledgeable enough on suppressors to answer your question. I am "tongue and cheek" witty enough to post the response I posted though. I couldn't hold back. lmao

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What kind of suppressed weapon would you use to hunt deer?

Any firearm that will save what little hearing I have left. I wear electronic wear ear muffs when I gun hunt for 20 years. That way I can hear a deer a longer way off and save my hearing. The damn squirrels do drive me crazy to.

I think what everyone is missing is that a suppressor (silencer) on a centerfire firearm doesn't make the noise go away. The noise level is just lowered so there in no hearing loss.

I been doing a lot of suppressor use in my R&D work with the 300 BO the last 4 months. The sound doesn't go away as my wife 700 ft. away hears me shoot every time even when she's in the house.

It's only dreamtime when people think it'll be a poachers dream come true. The sound is still there just less of it.
As the report states the suppressed sound can be heard a long way off.

A suppressor won't work very well on a revolver due to the cylinder gap.
On automatic in 45ACP and 9MM a suppressor lowers the noise to a comfortable load noise level. In doors ear muffs is still required.

It's not like in the crazy movies where there's no sound. It doesn't work that way as this is real life.

One last point. The suppressor always lowers the noise level about 50% on the 2nd shot than on the 1st shot. If I understand the workings correctly the 1st shot gas are still in the suppressor chambers when the 2nd shot is fired to buffer the sound waves. But this only happens on quick follow up shots. Won't work after a period of time delay.

So even for poachers the true noise level is on the 2nd shot but even that is still rather loud and can be heard for a long way.

Now 22LR the suppressed noise level is noticeable. But gee poaching is illegal. So the that fear goes away for me.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I am thinking that if this passes I will be collecting a few stamps.

Right now it doesn't appear many 45acp supressors are designed to handle a 44mag :-(

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I knew what you meant Chad. I am not knowledgeable enough on suppressors to answer your question. I am "tongue and cheek" witty enough to post the response I posted though. I couldn't hold back. lmao

I would of said the same thing had someone else posted that lol

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I am thinking that if this passes I will be collecting a few stamps.

Right now it doesn't appear many 45acp supressors are designed to handle a 44mag :-(

On a auto only due to the cylinder gap.
Suppressors can be made in any caliber. A dealer in Urbana had a full length suppressor on a 44 mag. Ruger 77 bolt action. I almost traded for it but was having health problems at the time. That turned out to be a mistake. I believe he said the noise level was reduced to about a 22 mag level. Still loud but much lower.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
DNR already uses suppressed rifles. Number of years ago they went into maumee bay state park and thinned the herd then dumped the deer in the landfill. They used ruger 44 mag semi-auto's for the job.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
On a auto only due to the cylinder gap.
Suppressors can be made in any caliber. A dealer in Urbana had a full length suppressor on a 44 mag. Ruger 77 bolt action. I almost traded for it but was having health problems at the time. That turned out to be a mistake. I believe he said the noise level was reduced to about a 22 mag level. Still loud but much lower.

Yeah but I'd get a lot more use out of a 45 cal supressor that I only shot my 44 mag deer gun through (lever action or bolt perhaps if other things pass) occasionally than paying for a whole additional supressor just for deer hunting. But then again I've spent more money on sillier things.