Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

.50 beowolf for deer?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Would a .50 cal Beowulf be legal if they pass this law since its straight wall or does it have to be a pistol cartridge also? .50 beowolf is not a pistol cartridge.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not a 100% sure but I believe it is a straight walled cartridge.... Sam or Frank could probably chime in and correct me if I'm wrong....

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
The law for handguns is straight walled cartridges .357 and up. The proposed rifle cartridges comes with an approved list of calibers for now. Hopefully if it passes with this list included, they will modify it eventually to allow all the same ones you can use for handguns.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The law for handguns is straight walled cartridges .357 and up. The proposed rifle cartridges comes with an approved list of calibers for now. Hopefully if it passes with this list included, they will modify it eventually to allow all the same ones you can use for handguns.

I was going to say hopefully they limit this to an approved list of cartridges before we end up with someone out there shooting a 600 nitro express at deer. Lol. The beowolf would make an awesome brush beater round though.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Would a .50 cal Beowulf be legal if they pass this law since its straight wall or does it have to be a pistol cartridge also? .50 beowolf is not a pistol cartridge.

Well this is going to be a sticky one in the future because it depends on the State writes the law. If the State writes in a list like they have in the past then NO. Then after about 15 yrs. they did away with the list and went to a somewhat common sense description. I say common sense but couple calibers in my mind are no sporting deer rounds.

I would say that J.D Jones at SSK has chambered a TC Encore or handcannon bolt pistol barrel for someone in .50 Beowolf. So then YES it's a pistol cartridge in my mind. But the State at times doesn't use my mind ideas. LOL

It would make a great round for short range deer hunting.

In regards to the 444 Marlin. Over 20 yrs. ago I had a TC 14" Contender barrel in 44 Mag. re-chambered to 444 Marlin. Does it make this a pistol round. I say YES as here it is in the flesh. Once again SSK has re-chambered many such pistol barrels.
I sold the 444 barrel when I got my 375 JDJ barrel which is a 444 Marlin necked down to 375 caliber. Great round as I've taken elk with it in WY.
The main reason I sold the 444 barrel was the recoil. I had Pachmyer rubber forearm on it and on leather sand bags the recoil would shear off the forearm screws. A 2 shot a day firearm. The 375 JDJ has a vented barrel and is a piece of cake to shoot.

So you see many straight wall rifle cartridges over the years have been chambered in so called pistol handcannons. So does this make these rifle rounds pistol rounds I say YES. But it all depends how the State writes up th new law.

Gee I hope the State doesn't see this post before the new law is put into effect. As I would like to see all straight wall chambered pistols be OK to use. I know already this doesn't set well with some but any round chambered in a short barrel pistol is a very short range round. I've always felt bigger is better for hunting.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
My bad "2.5- and 3-inch .410 bore shotshells, .45 Colt cartridges and .454 Casull cartridges." It's the .454 that I read not the .50

Just make sure if you do the 454 casull you have the correct Judge model. They are NOT ALL rated for it. Or else you end up with this

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have a S&W Governor. 410 / 45lc / 45 acp if anyone's interested. Moon clips. Crimson trace laser grip with off switch. Barely a box of shells through it. All papers, moon clips, lock etc all still in the plastic. $900.

Huckleberry Finn

Ya'll are thinking too hard.

The change will be subject to ODNR's rule proposal, and include these specific calibers:

"Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers:
.357 Magnum
.357 Maximum
.38 Special
.375 Super Magnum
.375 Winchester
.38-55,
.41 Long Colt
.41 Magnum
.44 Special
.44 Magnum,
.444 Marlin,
.45 ACP,
.45 Colt,
.45 Long Colt,
.45 Winchester Magnum,
.45 Smith & Wesson,
.454 Casull,
.460 Smith & Wesson,
.45-70,
.45-90,
.45-110,
.50-70,
.50-90,
.50-100,
.50-110,
.475 Linebaugh,
.500 Smith & Wesson.

It is further proposed that these rifles be limited to a total of 3 live cartridges through the use of a plug or inert ammunition inserted into the magazine."

Note the difference in the language from Indiana, who defined it by size, and then gave examples:

"Rifles with pistol cartridges
Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length
of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.

These rifle cartridges can be used only during the deer firearms season.

Some cartridges that are legal include the following:
.357 Magnum
.38-40 Winchester
.41 Magnum
.41 Special
.44 Magnum
.44 Special
.44-40 Winchester
.45 Colt
.454 Casull
.458 SOCOM
.480 Ruger
.475 Linebaugh
.50 Action Express
.500 S&W"

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
May as well just make high power rifles legal at the same time. If I remember correct, studies had shown a 12g slug retains more energy than most high power rounds after impact. They are plenty dangerous and there are plenty of idiots out shooting them during gun season.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Phil, your muzzleloader is more accurate and at a farther distances then most of these rounds listed....

Lundy

Note the difference in the language from Indiana, who defined it by size, and then gave examples:

"Rifles with pistol cartridges
Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length
of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.
Indiana revised their case length law in 2012 to a maximum case length of 1.8". This created a lot of wildcat necked down calibers that shoot with some very high velocities. .358 Hoosier, .358 WSSM push between 2500 and 2800 FPS with a 200 gr bullet.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Hey BigSlam, here ya go...

straight from the DNR:

[h=5]Gun Season and Youth Gun Season[/h]
  • Shotgun: 10-gauge or smaller shotgun using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition). Shotguns cannot be capable of holding more than three shells.
  • Muzzleloading Rifle: .38 caliber or larger
  • Muzzleloading Shotgun: 10-gauge or smaller using one ball per barrel
  • Handgun: with 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger.
  • Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Cassull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.Shotguns and stright-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting...trapping-regulations/deer-hunting-regulations