Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My new case trapper

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I love this knife! Very well made, has a little weight to it which I like, and they are made in the USA. I think I might start collecting case knives. I found the sheath on eBay.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394484767772.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394484767772.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Better watch the collecting thing it can be very addicting. Also watch the counterfeits especially the older ones. I used to have around a hundred or so. About 80% of those where in the seventies or older. Sold all of them needed the money for other things. I've got a couple my kids have bought for me that I kept. Nice one you have got there, now I'm going to have to go snoop around ebay looking at knives LOL

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Better watch the collecting thing it can be very addicting. Also watch the counterfeits especially the older ones. I used to have around a hundred or so. About 80% of those where in the seventies or older. Sold all of them needed the money for other things. I've got a couple my kids have bought for me that I kept. Nice one you have got there, now I'm going to have to go snoop around ebay looking at knives LOL

Thanks! Its so nice that I don't know if I want to use it Lol. So the older case knives are counterfeit a lot?

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
I wouldn't say a lot but as with anything of value, somebody is always looking to cheat a person out of cash. If you get into collecting just make sure you do your homework. I've gotten hosed a few times. One of the times was with a 6111 1/2 swing guard knife, might see it referred to as a cheetah. I bought it off of ebay as a straight U.S.A. Made 1965-1969 paid $140.00 if I remember right. After a close inspection by a friend one day using a strong magnifying glass you could see 7 very hard to see dots which would have made it a 1973 model. It was a very beautiful knife, but on my part a $70.00 mistake. They had buffed the dots off. So just watch yourself some are easy to see, others not so much.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I saw the same stag handled trapper at the local hardware store and was tempted. I collect the case small toothpicks. Like others have said get a book on case tang stamps and logos.

Sounds like I'll have to do my research, I don't want to get ripped off.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I love case knives. Jessica bought me this trapper for our anniversary.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394506238.660339.jpg

I either carry it or this little bone one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394506308.776889.jpg

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Thanks! Is that an emerald green color on your knife? I like it!
Thanks yeah some kind of green but don't know if they call it emerald or not. Bought it in july of 08 from a hardware store in Mackinaw Mi. I was looking a long time before i picked that one. Looked at colors like yours also. Thats the thing about Case they have a lot of styles and colors thats for sure. Love the trapper like yours and carried one for years before i lost it. Does yours have the stainless steel blades?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks yeah some kind of green but don't know if they call it emerald or not. Bought it in july of 08 from a hardware store in Mackinaw Mi. I was looking a long time before i picked that one. Looked at colors like yours also. Thats the thing about Case they have a lot of styles and colors thats for sure. Love the trapper like yours and carried one for years before i lost it. Does yours have the stainless steel blades?

Yes mine has SS blades.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I carry a SOG and have had Gerbers I really liked. But there is just something about a Case that says "ah, that's a knife."

I have a SOG EOD multi tool I got in the Army. But you're right. A pretty case knife is a gentleman's knife. But IMO nothing holds a blade to the older old timer with a schrade blade. I have one that was my grandfathers holds an edge like none other. I can gut, skin, and quarter a whole deer before it even needs touched up.

I've been a Case toothpick in my left back pocket in addition to whatever large sized folder I carry that day in my front right pocket. The extremely small case toothpick comes in very handy. Plus the toothpick meets all the FAA/TSA regulations to be carried on your person on a commercial plane.
However I am really considering this Case buffalo horn Trapper as my knife purchase for 2014.
http://www.deadwoodknives.com/p-463...-buffalo-horn-trapper-pocket-knife-65010.aspx